Adobe noise filtering

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by jlabate, Mar 16, 2012.

1. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    I've been using Photoshop CS5 and ACR with raw files. Someone recently told me that Lightroom has a better noise filter than ACR. Can anyone confirm that or maybe you disagree.

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    My understanding is that both Photoshop and Lightroom use ACR so their RAW processing is identical.

3. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    Thanks David. That's exactly what I think too but the guy that told me that LR is better is the tech guy for the school. I don't use LR so couldn't confirm or dispute.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Well, yes and no.

I believe the current version of ACR is equivalent to LR3.x. LR4 provides a pretty significant improvement in NR and other capabilities which are not yet in the production version of ACR. So ACR will match LR, but doesn't as of this moment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    Thanks. I don't know if the tech guy was referring to LR 3 or 4. I'm thinking CS6 will show up soon enough.

6. wiley

wiley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Washington, DC
    One thing seemed certain to me - the NR process in LR3 is greatly improved over LR2. When I used LR2, I used Noise Ninja for anything over ISO 800 or other noise-troublesome files. Now, I almost never have to resort to using NN.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.