1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adobe noise filtering

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by jlabate, Mar 16, 2012.

1. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    I've been using Photoshop CS5 and ACR with raw files. Someone recently told me that Lightroom has a better noise filter than ACR. Can anyone confirm that or maybe you disagree.

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    My understanding is that both Photoshop and Lightroom use ACR so their RAW processing is identical.

3. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    Thanks David. That's exactly what I think too but the guy that told me that LR is better is the tech guy for the school. I don't use LR so couldn't confirm or dispute.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Well, yes and no.

I believe the current version of ACR is equivalent to LR3.x. LR4 provides a pretty significant improvement in NR and other capabilities which are not yet in the production version of ACR. So ACR will match LR, but doesn't as of this moment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    Thanks. I don't know if the tech guy was referring to LR 3 or 4. I'm thinking CS6 will show up soon enough.

6. wiley

wiley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Washington, DC
    One thing seemed certain to me - the NR process in LR3 is greatly improved over LR2. When I used LR2, I used Noise Ninja for anything over ISO 800 or other noise-troublesome files. Now, I almost never have to resort to using NN.

• Like Like x 1