Adobe no longer offering $10/mo LR Classic CC plan to new users

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I recall being in a discussion about this a while back here on the site. Using the exact same hyperlink, some people were seeing $20/mo (includes 1TB of cloud storage), while others would see $10/mo (with less cloud storage). What was frustrating was that there was no easy way to change the storage option to get the cheaper price.

Adobe is making it more difficult for people to access the $10/mo. "classic" photography plan for those that want it. I loved LR, but when they made the switch to a subscription-only model, I decided to give my money to other developers. Since then, I've been very happy with DXO Photolab and AlienSkin Exposure.

Lawrence A.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Larry
At $20 they will lose me when my renewal comes up at year's end. I will find another good raw converter and reinstall PS 7 on my computer. It has 99.5% of what I use, which is fairly conventional photo stuff.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
I just chat with adobe's service and they assured me that prize would not change next year , they even gave me three months for free :)

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Just checked the links and the Adobe site - I can still get either LR CC +1TB or the "Photography Plan" (LR CC + Photoshop + LR Classic) + 20GB for $10 a month

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I'm paying £9 a month now. If that doubled I'd cancel. £110 a year is about the limit I'm prepared to pay. I consider it expensive at the current level.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
I'm paying £9 a month now. If that doubled I'd cancel. £110 a year is about the limit I'm prepared to pay. I consider it expensive at the current level.

I pay 13usd, and still think it's worth it. 20 usd is my limit though :)

mike3996

Mu-43 Veteran
Sad things. But no software team wants to maintain two separate codebases. It's more work than you may realise, and "bit-rot" does happen every time Windows or Mac updates itself, something may go boink in the code.

Adobe makes the best interfaces but I never got a chance to use Lightroom and looks like I never will.

trev

New to Mu-43
Why did they do away with the old(ish) nn cloud photoshop? I loved it. A one of payment and it was yours forever, now you gotta pay the (roughly) same amount for 1 year. RIP off

Acraftman

Mu-43 All-Pro
I keep telling myself if I shot film to get two rolls of 12 exp film with a copy on cd would cost about $18 U.S.,plus I wouldn't have the enjoyment of processing them myself. The good news is as I am pretty old chances are I will either kick the bucket or completely lose interest before I go broke!
While still pondering price gouging, my netgear router went on the blink with a problem the thieves at tech support told me they could fix for a $135 and it comes with a one year warranty being as I only paid $89 for the router I threw in the trash and went with a different brand, you win netgear!

Phocal

God
now you gotta pay the (roughly) same amount for 1 year. RIP off

Not really................

$10 x 12 = $120

Which was about the cost of LR but you also get PS which was around $300. So your math is just a little off and I don’t consider $120 roughly the same amount as ~$420.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Why did they do away with the old(ish) nn cloud photoshop? I loved it. A one of payment and it was yours forever, now you gotta pay the (roughly) same amount for 1 year. RIP off

That's exactly why. $.

Darktable
Gimp
Paint.net (no, not that paint)

There are others. All three are open sourced and heavily supported. Free. Free, free, free. irfanview now supports RAW, I believe.

Adobe can take a long walk off a short pier.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Not really................

$10 x 12 = $120

Which was about the cost of LR but you also get PS which was around $300. So your math is just a little off and I don’t consider $120 roughly the same amount as ~$420.

Right up until you exceed $420. And at $20/month, that happens in less than 2 years. People who don't need to upgrade to the latest and greatest with every new version save $ when it's a single purchase.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
The only surprise here is they waited so long. Just like how the telecom/cable companies told us "we have to merge to give the consumer lower prices". Yeah right. Happy cord cutter here. Sticking w/ LR5.7 for now.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I stayed with CS6 and old Lightroom rather than go to the subscription. Don't use LR much, maybe once or twice a year as I don't care for the interface and cataloging since I use multiple external drives for storage and me using Cloud storage is pointless due to slow internet speeds here which seems more like old 56K AOL dial-up at times.). PS6 mostly just to resize.

I tend to use DxO Photolab 2 most followed by Alien Skin Exposure. I'll cull the cards using Olympus Viewer 3 set to RAW and scroll through them to checkmark (I haven't figured out how to do that fast with Workspace yet.). I notice that the other maker's upgrades seem to have more benefits added than what Adobe introduces such as the U-point tech and ColorChecker Passport profiling added to Photolab 2, and Exposure adds new stuff too. Adobe seems to sit on their laurels more since they have a captive audience. Others need to innovate to get people to upgrade annually, imho.

Professor friend uses the Adobe Cloud and has to renew annually for his teacher discount. He told me that most of Adobe's subscription base is from institutions (85%) coming from students enrolled in classes using Adobe for their class. Lots of students in schools adds a lot of income for Adobe, Maybe only 15% outside of institutions pay.

I found it interesting the video guys in LA use Blackmagic's Davinci Resolve Studio software as it can run without being attached to the internet ever on their editing bays. Keeping their bays off the internet lowers the risk of some intellectual property of others getting leaked off their editing computers and maybe them getting sued too. Blackmagic also makes a lot more hardware than Adobe for their editing software too which helps them. There is a free version of Davinci Resolve too with less features than the full Studio version. I liked it for the drones and bought the Studio version after using the free one as they dropped the price from $999 to $299 and all upgrades from version14 up to 16 have been free so far.

For the six printers, I use Qimage Ulitmate to feed them.

Phocal

God
He told me that most of Adobe's subscription base is from institutions (85%) coming from students enrolled in classes using Adobe for their class. Lots of students in schools adds a lot of income for Adobe, Maybe only 15% outside of institutions pay.

All speculation..................

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
That's exactly why. $.

Darktable
Gimp
Paint.net (no, not that paint)

There are others. All three are open sourced and heavily supported. Free. Free, free, free. irfanview now supports RAW, I believe.

Adobe can take a long walk off a short pier.

Just Downloaded darktable and played a bit with it, kinda frustrating moment, but I guess it has its learning curve. I go with lr this year and hope that darktable gets more iniutive further on, thanks for the tip

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Just Downloaded darktable and played a bit with it, kinda frustrating moment, but I guess it has its learning curve. I go with lr this year and hope that darktable gets more iniutive further on, thanks for the tip

I started with Darktable last July and knew absolutely nothing about RAW. I did have some previous (very old) Photoshop experience. There is a learning curve like anything else. Tons of modules, but it's a powerful program and holds it's own. I use it for JPEG too. I don't care for their resizing system much so I don't use it to resize.

Latest threads

Top Bottom