Adobe nearly screwed me. LR6 users beware/action needed.

Real Name
Angus
Most people don't use a fraction of what Adobe has to offer
I'd love to know what data you have access to to make this claim.

Photoshop, sure but that's the entire point of Photoshop. No one professional user in any industry can use a fraction of what Photoshop offers, it's that big (not to mention the amount legacy functionality it has).

Lightroom Classic though, you don't think people are using it to its full potential? Pretty much every photographer I know (myself included) can't even move away from it because of functionality doesn't exist elsewhere (except maybe Capture One, but that costs and arm and a leg).

That's testimant to Adobe's functionality btw, not to their eco system or whatever.

Last edited:

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Don't try telling me I'm stupid or I'm a sucker for a bad deal. I've worked in the technology industry for a long time. Subscription and Software-as-a-Service models are the way forward.
As a Photoshop user you're getting an excellent deal. As a non-Photoshop user I wouldn't.

Subscription and SaaS models have their place but so do perpetual licences - even in a professional environment.

I bought LR6 in April 2015. I've been using it since. It continues to do everything it did when I bought it, a few additional things (like supporting the camera I bought in 2017) and meets my needs.

If I'd switched to LR7 when it was released I'd have spent (at least) £320 since then. So I've saved £320 by not upgrading, and save more money every single month.

Even if I did want to upgrade, the Adobe product suite is now a confusing mess. Should I use LR Classic or LR CC? I'm not buying an ipad just to use the mobile apps so already I'm paying for software I wouldn't use. I might use Photoshop but I have perfectly capable image editing tools already installed on my computer. As for the cloud storage, Adobe lets their systems get hacked far too frequently for me to trust that, I'll stick with reliable offsite back-up options I can control.

I've worked in the technology industry for a long time and Adobe's practices are predatory, insecure and anti-consumer. Why would I support that?

Real Name
Angus
As a Photoshop user you're getting an excellent deal. As a non-Photoshop user I wouldn't.

Subscription and SaaS models have their place but so do perpetual licences - even in a professional environment.

I bought LR6 in April 2015. I've been using it since. It continues to do everything it did when I bought it, a few additional things (like supporting the camera I bought in 2017) and meets my needs.

If I'd switched to LR7 when it was released I'd have spent (at least) £320 since then. So I've saved £320 by not upgrading, and save more money every single month.

Even if I did want to upgrade, the Adobe product suite is now a confusing mess. Should I use LR Classic or LR CC? I'm not buying an ipad just to use the mobile apps so already I'm paying for software I wouldn't use. I might use Photoshop but I have perfectly capable image editing tools already installed on my computer. As for the cloud storage, Adobe lets their systems get hacked far too frequently for me to trust that, I'll stick with reliable offsite back-up options I can control.

I've worked in the technology industry for a long time and Adobe's practices are predatory, insecure and anti-consumer. Why would I support that?
My use case is different from yours but it is a well thought out discussion/post. Nice change from "Hurrrr Durrrr subscriptions are for suckers"

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm setting up a new computer and used my LR6 disk to install. I immediately discovered that it could not read my GX8 RAW files. Looking around Adobe for a fix produced at least an hour of dead ends. None of the Camera RAW or DNG packages worked. I finally figured out that I needed the last/6.14 update that I was apparently running on the old computer. All the internet links to 6.14 were dead and Adobe's pages said that the app was not supported/no downloads available. Finally I found this:

When I went into my order I had the opportunity to download another copy of 6.0, which I did. I decided to install it just in case it wasn't really 6.0. (I'm an optimist I guess). Anyway, it worked! It installed 6.14 despite the installer being labeled 6.0 and I am now able to use my GX8 RAW files.

For anyone running the non-subscription LR, I strongly suggest that you follow the instructions above, download the "6.0" installer, and tuck it carefully away. There is no telling if/when/how Adobe will decide to take this option away.
I use LR6 standalone, and when my last laptop died and I had to set up the new one I had huge issues finding the download link.

Could you please tell me what to do with the installer? Do I save it to a USB drive? And if so how do I go about it?

Thanks

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
If you have the installer for 6.14, just be sure to save it to your own backup drive, preferably not on your PC, but an external drive. Then if you even need to reinstall, just launch that version. If you’re on a Mac, you’ll have no luck on anything Catalina or later, since part of the Adobe installer is 32bit, even though the LR6 program itself is 64bit. With Windows, you should still be okay, unless someday Adobe refuses to support activating the program during install.

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you have the installer for 6.14, just be sure to save it to your own backup drive, preferably not on your PC, but an external drive. Then if you even need to reinstall, just launch that version. If you’re on a Mac, you’ll have no luck on anything Catalina or later, since part of the Adobe installer is 32bit, even though the LR6 program itself is 64bit. With Windows, you should still be okay, unless someday Adobe refuses to support activating the program during install.
So - in downloads I have a file called Lightroom extractor. Is that the one I need to save to a drive?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
In Program Files I have Adobe Lightroom, which 1.79Gb but I don't see an .exe file there, just heaps of others.
You need the installer, not anything from Program Files. I don’t believe you can just copy the program files folder over to a new machine, as modern programs store various things across multiple directories in the system, and makes registry entries. You have to start with the installer file, so the program can be registered to your account and activated by Adobe (for piracy reasons),

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You need the installer, not anything from Program Files. I don’t believe you can just copy the program files folder over to a new machine, as modern programs store various things across multiple directories in the system, and makes registry entries. You have to start with the installer file, so the program can be registered to your account and activated by Adobe (for piracy reasons),
OK - so I went to my account and d/l the Lr .exe, and noticed it shows as Lr extractor after download. Right click showed there was an .exe file, so I have saved it to a flash drive, just in case my laptop or PC both die.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What I have is "Lightroom_6_LS11.exe" 761,879 KB. IIRC, running it creates the LR Installer, which looks like this:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I am keeping both safely on a backed-up, RAID, NAS box. Belts & suspenders.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@mcgillro, you seem to be very confused by all this, which is pretty much a typical software installation procedure. Do you have a friend with more computer expertise who could coach you? The direct answer to your question is almost certainly yes. That should create the installer folder. Then you can go there and run setup.exe. But it might be good to have someone with more expertise helping you with things like this at least until you get more comfortable with the process.

Nice place, NZ BTW. We were there a few years ago, flying all over the South island (https://www.flyinn.co.nz/) and then renting an RV and driving around the north island. Great memories!

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
I have this:
Lightroom_6_LS11(1)
and when I right click, it shows an .exe file, so I figure this must be what I need?
That sounds like it to me. Keep it tucked away someplace safe. Still, you may start thinking about an exit strategy from LR6, as you are on borrowed time when using software that is no longer being supported. You don’t want to arrive at the day where it no longer works and not have your library accessible like you’d want/expect.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That sounds like it to me. Keep it tucked away someplace safe. Still, you may start thinking about an exit strategy from LR6, as you are on borrowed time when using software that is no longer being supported. You don’t want to arrive at the day where it no longer works and not have your library accessible like you’d want/expect.
FWIW I am not particularly worried about it stopping to work in any general sense. Sure, there are bugs in there but I haven't encountered them in my simple work flow. Software vendors make a bit deal about "end of support," but it is mostly a marketing strategy to extract more money from customers. I do expect, though, that someday I will buy a camera that LR6 will not support or a Windows version comes along that I cannot upgrade to because LR will not work --- that is why I am keeping my eyes open for an exit strategy.

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
I have this:
Lightroom_6_LS11(1)
and when I right click, it shows an .exe file, so I figure this must be what I need?
I don't think the file that you have includes the 6.14 update. I believe you need the file that you have and a file called "setup.zip" that will extract to look like this:

Then inside payloads:

Then inside that folder:

To the best of my knowledge there is not a 6.14 full installation. You must install then upgrade.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
FWIW I am not particularly worried about it stopping to work in any general sense. Sure, there are bugs in there but I haven't encountered them in my simple work flow. Software vendors make a bit deal about "end of support," but it is mostly a marketing strategy to extract more money from customers. I do expect, though, that someday I will buy a camera that LR6 will not support or a Windows version comes along that I cannot upgrade to because LR will not work --- that is why I am keeping my eyes open for an exit strategy.
I could see issues presenting themselves with hardware acceleration as we move away from the GPUs that were popular during LR6’s heyday. Granted, LR6 didn’t use the GPU much, but I could see eventually needing to turn off acceleration entirely, as the hardware and drivers won’t play nicely. I had an issue with Darktable where going from a RX570 to the 5700XT completely screwed up a noise filter, and it made every image where I had used that filter look rather terrible. I know DT is not LR, but it’s just an example of what may happen. The issue on DT’s side is trying to use really new hardware on anything open source—headaches are likely until the community support catches up.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
... To the best of my knowledge there is not a 6.14 full installation.
Did you read my OP ?? What I downloaded and installed was a full 6.14 installation. The downloaded file is the one listed in my post #72 and the downloaded file that @mcgillro got has the same file name. So I presume that it, too is the full install of 6.14.

I don't doubt that there is also a patch, but that is not what we're talking about here. @mcgillro, please don't get confused by post #77. It is irrelevant to the thread.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom