Adobe LR-4 Beta

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Kiwi Paul, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I downloaded it and had a quick play last night, not able to comment on it yet as I've not had time to really evaluate it but its there to download and trial if anyone is interested.
    Only thing is it doesn't recognise earlier LR versions (as this is a BETA version).

Anyone else had a play with it and have any comments?

2. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    It uses HUGE memory, but as others have pointed out, maybe because its still have debugging codes.
    Slideshow still lags behind somehow, compared to competitors.
    Soft proofing is a little bit off from the print, I'd say.
    Haven't play much either. :smile:
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    At long last we have auto-CA correction without needing lens profiles. Awesome!

The beta is large and slow due to the debugging code, but I can't wait for the final release.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I posted this over on SC, too

WOW! This is a great. DPR has a fantastic overview starting here: Lightroom 4 Public Beta: What's New: Digital Photography Review

A couple of "what else is in the box" is IMO some nice stuff!
    Lightroom 4 Public Beta: What's New: Digital Photography Review

• How about presets organized into folders! (only took them to v4 to get this, lol)
    • Ability to shut off modules by right-clicking on the name (e.g. I NEVER use the web module)
    • E-mail images directly from LR
    • NR effects rendered in previews OTHER than just 1:1 (yeah!)
  5. kenc

kenc Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    I love it...

The changes to the develop module (basic panel and adjustment brushes) make a real difference, particularly in the capacity to optimize detail across the histogram. The implementation of soft proofing is well thought out. The new video functionality is nice for occasional videographers like me. The slideshow and web modules haven't significantly advanced. Well worth a look while it is in beta and hence free, whether or not you are already a Lightroom aficionado.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I have been trying this, having not used Lightroom before. I find that it crashes occasionally (to the extent of system freezes/reboots), but it is much easier to get good results from this than it is from Olympus Viewer 2, and much more pleasant to use.