1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adobe Lightroom fake?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by krysdafur, Jun 29, 2011.

1. krysdafur

krysdafur Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    SoCal
    I just received my copy of Lightroom 3 that I bought from a vendor on Amazon. The print on the sleeve is pretty poor quality. The photo of the woman jogging through the water looks pretty awful. It hard to believe Adobe would sell their product with this poor quality packaging. The box says "Made IN Singapore." The CD case sleeve says printed in the USA. There are also some in consistencies in the part numbering.
    Did I buy a fake?

*update - I called Adobe, the serial key is invalid so it is a counterfeit copy.

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    That's a stinker. Hopefully, you can get a refund. Or you can challenge the transaction with your credit card.

3. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Same thing happened to me last week, luckily the seller handled it well and I got a refund straight away. I nearly didn't spot it was a fake but the closer I looked the worse it got. I admit I felt silly for falling for the low price in the first place though, but you don't expect fakes from Amazon even though it wasn't from them as such. If seller messes you around then Amazon has a claims procedure. I'm in the UK by the way.

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    That sucks. I'd always be suspicious about buying software from a non-authorized retailer, though. I get all Adobe stuff either from my campus store or direct from Adobe. Are you eligible for academic discount?

5. krysdafur

krysdafur Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    SoCal
    I'm not eligible for academic discount.

I've contacted the store and filed a dispute with Amazon. I'm sure Amazon will resolve the issue. The reseller I bought it from has 4.9 stars, 100% positive reviews, with 19 ratings but they no longer have any items listed in their storefront.

6. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    I felt even dumber afterwards when I remembered my wife is eligible for edu prices! So she has bought Lr ;)

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    in this modern internet age... anything that is more than say 10% less than the average selling price is probably not legit. The margins on legal stuff to authorised dealers is minimal.... plus nobody carrys much stock these days so nobody has old stock to shift at discount prices anymore

buyer beware

L

• Like Like x 2
  8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    nobody in your family either, or circle of friends?

Qualified individuals include:

* University and college students — students enrolled at a higher education institution defined as an accredited public or private university or college (including community, junior, or vocational college) that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two years of full-time study1
    * Primary and secondary school students — students enrolled at an accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction1
    * Faculty and staff — teachers and staff employed by an accredited primary or secondary school, public or private university or college, school district, or board of education (including emeritus status professors)1
    * Homeschooled students and their teachers — students and teachers as defined by state homeschooling regulations

from education purchasing eligibility | Adobe

9. Jimboh

Jimboh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    Florida
  10. Photorx12

Photorx12 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    Good point and rule to live by when it comes to to shopping online.