Adobe Lens Profile Creator

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, May 3, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hopefully Oly/Pany profiles will be shared soon - Adobe won't get around to it.

3. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The beauty of this application is that you create your own profiles, for your own lenses.This will be a great application for legacy lenses. It seems easy enough to do and that means any idiosyncracies of your system are taken into account. I'm also sure that plenty of lens profiles will appear in the user community soon enough, though my guess is that they will predominantly be for Canon/Nikon lenses. :smile:

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  4. DavidB

DavidB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah, I've got a big matrix of lens/body combinations to profile, but I'm still without my G1 (being modified) so I've been working through 5DmkII/7D profiles.
    Once you get the right size targets printed (I've done some A4 targets on my own printer and done A3/A2 targets at the local OfficeWorks) and mount them on flat surfaces (I got some MDF sheets cut to A3/A2 sizes) you then need to sort out how to mount them so you're not introducing further distortions for each of the 9 shots you need to take.
    Then to get a _good_ profile you need to shoot separate series of shots at various apertures, and for a zoom lens do it at lots of focal lengths (with appropriate size targets).

Be aware that it's not just a case of "take a couple of snaps and run the software", unless you want crappy profiles. My first profile was just a test, and it wasn't very good. But in the intervening time I've got a bit better at it.

As you might guess, I haven't made it very far through my matrix (2x bodies with different crops, 3x primes, and 3x zooms) but hopefully I'll have time to get further through the list soon. Currently I only have one lens (14-45) for my G1, but I will be profiling it for visible light and then I get to experiment and see if there are any differences with IR!

Certainly the introduction of this technology has meant that when I see lens reviews (e.g. for the M.Zuiko 9-18 I'm considering) that mention distortions, I don't think of it as a serious problem!

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    This seems like a very good idea.
    As Ray said, there will be many profiles posted in the next few weeks.
    Maybe we can start a section on the board for a profile list.
    That could save much work for everyone.
    Shooter

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Have downloaded and had a look. As David said you need to get organised to tackle this - not difficult but needs a bit more dedication than I have at the moment. I suspect there could be a market for good quality profiles a la the OlyColy camera profiles. I'd pay a small donation for them (as I've done with OlyColy).

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I'm working on something in the back room...
    Hopefully it will bear fruit.

8. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    My interest lies more with my prime legacy lenses, rather than zooms and it seems that this might be where the greatest benefit comes with the likes of the m4/3s cameras. I wouldn't bother with my 4/3s lenses and cameras, as they are pretty much as good as you can get. I hope to be able to cut a few profiles for some of my lenses between tomorrow and the weekend. I'll probably do some for my most oft used m4/3s lenses: 28mm f2, 40mm f2 and 90mm f4.

Cheers

Ray

9. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Adobe Issues Lens Profile Creator Update

Link:

Adobe issues Lens Profile Creator update: Digital Photography Review

"Adobe has issued the second prerelease version of the Lens Profile Creator utility for immediate download from its Adobe Labs site. The upgraded version fixes 'several reported issues in the initial build.' The utility enables users to create custom lens profiles for Photoshop CS5, ACR 6.1 and Lightroom 3."

Bokeh D

• Like Like x 2
  10. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Just had a look at the lenses newly supported by Lightroom 3.2 - nothing from Olympus and Panasonic ? Would anybody have a good source for lens profiles ? Thanks in advance...

11. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm not 100% clear on this, but I think Adobe does corrections automatically on Panasonic (and maybe Olympus) raw files. I believe it was a condition for Adobe to be able to support the Panasonic files.

See this post by Eric Chan of Adobe: Adobe Forums: Query - application of Panasonic...