Adobe CC plan is $8 a month through Amazon

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by tkbslc, Mar 23, 2016.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  2. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Did you find anything on that site as to how long that $7.99 price applies? I know Adobe "affiliates" are pushing a $7.99 plan, which reverts to $9.99 after 12 months. I couldn't find anything pro or con on Amazon's website.

3. tkbslc

I did not, but wondered the same thing.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I wouldn't even do it for $7.99...LR may be the "standard" but having recently finished a C1P subscription (and I like C1P) I wouldn't do it again.

5. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I was tempted by this, but there are a whole host of negative reviews about people having activation and billing issues. One of the reviewers mentioned that it takes him hours every month to keep the subscription active. Definitely not worth the $2/month in savings even if one likes the subscription model.

• Like Like x 1
  6. emoslaughter

emoslaughter Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    Douglas French
    I've had CC through Amazon for like a year with zero problems. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. tkbslc

I found some fine print that says only valid on new Adobe ID.

8. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Been using the $9.95 Photographers deal (I did it at the very first and 20 gig's of online data) and it takes about 2 minutes a month to stay online.

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I think there are far better tools out there than Lightroom. If you have workflows that you depend on or tools that only work in LR (like VSCO) then I can understand it but if not I do not see the appeal of the Photoshop/Lightroom CC. But, to each their own. It is cheap.

10. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    That's good to know.

There do seem to be some real issues with the interaction between Amazon and Adobe though given that fully 41% of the reviews are 1 star and most of them are complaining about activation, renewal and other subscription problems. Based on those, if I was to buy the subscription, I would probably go directly to Adobe and not worry about the savings through Amazon.

11. mount_evans

mount_evans New to Mu-43

Feb 25, 2013
    What would you recommend? Are there any tools that "know about" Olympus cameras and micro four thirds lenses?

12. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    DxO

• Like Like x 1
  13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Capture One Pro 9. I didn't care for the subscription model but I really like the tool itself and it does a terrific job with Olympus RAW files and had profiles for my Panasonic lenses.

If you're a Mac user Iridient Developer is nice and Photo Ninja (cross platform) is as well. Between the two I like Photo Ninja's UI a bit better. If you want to go for something on the cheap then Adobe Bridge (free) and Polarr ($5 for the Pro version) is not bad at all. Adobe Bridge uses the Adobe RAW converter so results will be similar to LR. I also think DXO does a really nice job as well but its been ages since I played with it.

I started giving Polarr an extended look as a possible mobile solution for my iPad and was so impressed with it that I got the desktop version as well. it's got a much smaller feature set than a tool like LR but it is surprisingly powerful.

14. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    I like DxO a lot. They are having a 40% sale till March 31. I have also been trying out ACDSee Pro 9 which is pretty good as well. They are having 45% off (+1 extra license) sale till March 31. You can download and try these before buying. And then there are the free alternatives such as DarkTable and RawTherapee which are both very powerful.

15. tkbslc

I've been demoing just about everything under the sun and I've decided LR is the only one that is a complete package.

Capture One costs twice as much as LR and has less powerful image management. The conversion is great, but not better than LR, at least not consistently. You also pay $15 on the Capture One subscription and you don't even get Photoshop thrown in for free. I really just need a good image manager. Bridge is OK, but doesn't have the same power in terms of keywords, face detection, collections, etc. It's good, but it's not great. DxO is nice for landscapes, but I think it does a poor job with realistic skin tones and it has no image management. It's also no cheaper than LR.

I agree there are a lot of nice editors out there, but I need true image management. My library is getting too large. If All I needed was a RAW editor, to be honest, the free SilkyPix does a fine job. Probably the closest alternative I found was ACDSee, but I didn't think it did quite as good on the RAW editing, it had some hiccups with my metadata, and I wanted the face detection feature found in Lightroom. I was ready to buy it 2 weeks ago, but lately I've been finding LR to be a more complete package for really not that much more money in the grand scheme.

I am not 100% sure I will sign up for the subscription as I don't NEED Photoshop. I have several lower end editors that meet my needs well. But I saw this pricing while browsing and passed it on. Not really trying to tell anyone what they should or should not buy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I think it comes down to whatever works for you. I found I much preferred the tools and the UI in C1P to LR, then again I started using C1P when I was shooting RAW on my Fuji and it handles X-Trans files significantly better than LR so I suppose I am biased in that regard. That said, I don't find the difference in RAW conversions to be as significant with Olympus files. It also matters what features are important to you. What is an absolute must have for one person can be a non issue for another. At least there are decent number of choices out there.

17. mount_evans

mount_evans New to Mu-43

Feb 25, 2013
    Well, there's the rub. I have come to the conclusion that Adobe sucks at interpreting the color rendering of Olympus RAW files. It almost does OK for pictures taken in daylight, but once you open a picture taken indoors, everyone caucasian turns orangeish pink. Finding a white object in the shot for white balance doesn't help.

18. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    For my day job, I use illustrator and InDesign 90%+ of the time, with photoshop filling in the remaining percentage. With the cloud subscription, LR is tossed in (along with other Adobe products)...so for me it's like having a free program :). I've been using the cc version for a couple years now with no issues...and I quite like having access to all the latest updates.

19. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Unfortunately I've reached a similar conclusion. LR is a pain at times and I'd love to move away from it, but just haven't seen a viable alternative yet to completely set it aside.

The suggestions I've seen posted here are for alternative RAW processing engines, unless I've missed it none are DAMs. At best they have filesystem navigator but not much else.

I do like DxO and bought their package. I also enjoy the Macphun software. Yet for image management I'm finding it difficult to exit LR. So far I've avoided the subscription model, but anticipate LR7 won't be available as a standalone upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    There are people like you that use PS in a professional sense and for this, the subscription price is a joke or a non issue. It is people like me, who have photography as a hobby and therefore are not interested in having the full Adobe Suite at its most current form that take issue with the subscription model. We just like having the option of paying once and only updating when we think that version actually adds something we want or need.

That said, up until now this option is still available for LR and although I don't think particularly fondly of Adobe locking features behind the CC I am absolutely content with my current version of LR.

In the end people will just have to decide what they need and then see if what is offered is value for them. I will probably only upgrade once I get a new camera, which is not supported by current LR. This will not happen in the next 2 or 3 years, which is why I am very happy to still have a one time buy option for LR.

• Like Like x 2