1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adobe CC Down

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, May 15, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's what I read too. Guess that's not entirely accurate!

3. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Now I'm not certain, as this fellow keeps mentioning other computers, I can't help but wonder if he's using more than 2 computers, and is experiencing a problem from juggling the seats, and he got caught with his pants down during server downtime, or the numbnut forgot to logout and devalidate other computers. I do that with my 2 laptops all the time. I bounce the 2nd license between the two and one stays on the desktop, and I get that same error should I forget to devalidate the other laptop. (my wife has the newer swankier laptop)

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    So if a household has a CC account, then the same will happen if you want to access CC with more than one computer? That doesn't make sense. On reading the link again, the author was hoping to be able to use another computer than was still logged in. So if all his computers had logged out, there was no access to CC.

5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The apps on my Mac load just fine and I even updated Acrobat Pro. But Adobe CC manager pops up and says that it can't connect to the server and it needs to verify my products before some date in August. Some folks store their work product on the Adobe server rather than local machine. Those folks are probably the ones most affected.

6. Just Jim

Oct 20, 2011
    A standard subscription gets you one seat to use between 2 computers. So, a logged in account can only download an app to two authorized computers. It will check, if it's DL'd AND validated onto another computer, you simply get a log in error when trying to DL the app from the client on a third computer. So correct order is DL, de-authorize computer, and DL to a third computer, juggle license. Another issue, let's say I'm using PS on my desktop and leave it open. I will not be able to use it from my laptop IF it is online, offline is fine it can't check, however if you haven't used it in awhile and it needs to check in it will also not work. Seeing as he hit a down server issue well, that just sucks (imo kind of funny if he was juggling seats, seeing as that is kind of extending the use of the license and one should expect weird things at the fringes of use cases), but it shouldn't be too long of an outage.

7. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have a standard subscription but I have always wondered what the pricing and restrictions are for the small and medium sized business packages. Whatever problem Pye, the author, is having it does not make sense. As Just Jim suggests I suspect he is trying to download a program on a laptop for the first time.

8. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Got a new MacBook Air so I've been trying since yesterday (14th, 8 pm EST) to install PS.

Even chatted with a customer service agent this morning and all he could say is their IT folks are working on it. I'm shocked to see that it's been almost 24 hours since the system went down and it's still not up and running :mad:

9. Just Jim

Oct 20, 2011
    mild update new updates and server checks are dooooown. So if your app needs to validate, users will be screwed. Which of course with as many users there are, it absolutely will hit some users. So turn on our PS, and keep it on until the outage is done if you need to get work done.
    http://mashable.com/2014/05/15/adobe-creative-cloud-down/

10. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I was able to re-open, albeit slowly, both DW & PS. I only opened the two.

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Pretty poor really. Adobe is pushing everyone into their CC program and then something like this happens. The CC should be maintained as a business critical program, with pretty much instant fall back when something goes amiss.

• Like Like x 1
  12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Exactly what I have been saying. This isn't one of the things I was thinking but it adds to my dislikes for the CC only model.

13. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    interesting, I've been hearing most people can run adobe just fine. I thought check in was once a month? or is it once, randomly, a month?

14. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The issue is not with folks who have downloaded and use the apps on regular basis, it is only with folks trying to download for the first time.

15. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    And, please, let's not turn this into an optical vs. on-line delivery discussion. Piracy and costs have killed optical delivery for companies like Adobe and Apple.

16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Now that you raise that subject, I don't think those last points have anything to do with the CC model being introduced; CC codes were pirated/hacked within a week of it coming online. The entire CC model was introduced in order to force users to constantly upgrade their software, rather than jump versions, and to give Adobe a constant, almost guaranteed cash flow, year after year. You lock in users and they will be very reluctant to move to something else, just about every business is aware of this and how so many service providers operate. Adobe has adopted the model of a 'service provider', not a software supplier.

• Like Like x 1
  17. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Adobe CC - what a crock and complete scam!

18. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Ray, we have exchanged emails about Adobe/Apple in the past and we both value different ecosystems. We all vote with our wallets and companies seek out different wallets. My posts are interesting as the apps that I use the most, in relation to this forum, are Aperture and FCPX which are both you buy them and we will upgrade them, products.

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Every piece of software that I currently own is buy once, use whenever and wherever I want, and upgrade as I feel is necessary. For me, personally, to adopt a subscription model would be a gross waster of money, I simply don't use any software sufficiently to justify such a purchasing model (other than my OS which I wouldn't buy as a subscription model either). I am even more wary of cloud based services, relying on someone else to have my software available when I need it and where I need it. Adobe wants to act like a service provider, but doesn't appear to be willing to adopt service provider policies. Service providers like ISPs, data centres etc, strive for 99.99% uptime and have systems setup such that any systems failures are automatically taken over by backup systems. Perhaps Adobe doesn't consider its users as serious business customers, they are just 'creative' types; all this checking of valid licences etc is just to ensure that every user has coughed up their allotted tithe, nothing to do with premium service provision.

• Like Like x 2
  20. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    We are not all meant to use the same products and to have the same opinions of them, it would be very boring if we did.