Adobe Camera Raw (v 9.1.1) will be the final version for CS6

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mcasan, Jul 29, 2015.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Update to camera support policy in CS6
    In order to pursue further innovations in image processing and workflow technology, the next release of Adobe Camera Raw (v 9.1.1) will be the final version available for use with CS6. Customers can utilize the free Adobe DNG Converter utility to receive the very latest camera support for CS6 and older versions of our software going all the way back to Photoshop CS1 and Lightroom 1.0.
  2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    A while ago I made a post on Mu-43 about Adobe and being able to trust them. Someone responded with ‘I will trust them to…” - Will here it is - Creative Cloud, work arounds, or hit the highway Jack!

Thanks Adobe for the 21 years of producing a viable professional level programs that I could use for as long as I wanted and until I was sure the new version was stable and functioned properly. Thanks but no thanks on the subscription service.
  3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    This news only applies to CS6. They have stated continued camera support for both Lightroom CC as well as the standalone Lightroom app.
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can still trust them to have "viable professional level programs that I could use for as long as I wanted and until I was sure the new version was stable and functioned properly". Just because you subscribe doesn't mean you're forced to update immediately. Unless you mean for something like 5 years... but these days not many software companies are willing to support that long unless you pay big bucks in maintenance contracts. Even Microsoft are going rapid updates with latest Windows and Office, etc. DNG converter always works anyway.
  5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Without a doubt, and no other company offers a suite that integrates so well. I see more and more people that are not upgrading their personal computers (to CC or reverting back) and just using their company’s licensed CC programs at work.

Well as long as you pay your monthly/yearly subscription!!!oops

Well, let’s take a look at that.

1. 1st thing, Adobe promised incremental upgrades and not having to wait for a large package or the next version. That bit the dust this year. So much for that promise. Quite a few of these updates have not been trouble fee. I know of one graphics shop that could not output any files for two days till the IT guys straightened out the systems.

2. The last major package release created two entirely different sets of issues. Those that wanted the upgrades/updates and could not find a means to install the new programs relatively quickly. And others that didn’t want any new programs right away – but got them anyway. And many, many users had incompatibilities.

That is exactly what I mean. After a certain point you no longer need OEM maintenance/updates (except maybe for Windows OS). I have Adobe CS 3, 5.5, and CS 6 suites that I can load on my computers and use them for as long as I like. They are very stable and don’t need Adobe’s continued support. I just did load Creative Suite 3 on a laptop for specific reasons. As far as Microsoft goes - I have recently loaded licensed versions of Microsoft Office 7 on several people’s computers because of many complaints with the newer Office products.

But here is one thing - we no longer have to worry about often changing stated EOL support for any products in the CC, as all of the older version have now reached EOL.

And here is a long range gotcha not directly related to Adobe – I was recently figuring out when I might retire and recomputed my expected living cost. Never before I had factored in the cost of all the monthly payments and subscription services! If I continue with everything I have, it is a lot more money than I expected. Part of the reason Adobe CC no longer makes sense for me.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I've given in and got the subscription model, lured in by the the relatively cheap opening monthly cost. That means I am sort of at the hands of Adobe and can't complain if they screw me over in future. Will that happen? I hope not but in getting the subscription, I can't complain if it does and I've gone into this with my eyes wide open, aware that it could turn sour, in particular that monthly cost jumping up. But that's me and it may well not be the case for others. So I would think very carefully before subscribing whether its the right thing for you.
    • Agree Agree x 1