Adobe Accounts Hacked

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Replytoken, Oct 3, 2013.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Dang. That's going to be a recommendation for the CC.

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    *yawn* if you use any card or account for anything, assume it's been stolen. The list of services I've had that got hacked, is well, longer than the ones that haven't.

Sony, Blizzard, BofA, Amazon, Adobe, PayPal (lol someone tried to buy a couple hundred Korean computers a couple years ago, good thing I don't have 100K limits) and on and on. Good times. Hopefully Adobe springs for the free credit report and security monitor services, I wouldn't mind another free year.

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The only reason this is a MAJOR story is that Adobe has forced their customers into a relationship that made them vulnerable to losing their info, whereas previously, you could buy their product and NOT have to give them your information. So basically, Adobe eliminated the means of doing business with them in a manner that allowed their clientele to protect themselves - and Adobe subsequently proved unable to maintain the safety of customers who THEY forced into vulnerability. So they bear a disproportionate share of responsibility here compared to other companies who's databases had gotten hacked and had info stolen. Now let's see what Adobe does about it, in the context of that fact.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Nope. If anyone ever uses any payment info on any site, it has the same vulnerability. Ultimately, the consumer is in control, and if they get their stuff stolen, it's our due diligence to not be lazy and monitor what goes on with our finances. The internet has been around long enough t know what the dangers are, there is no excuse for poor security and monitoring on our part.

imo, I don't care how good or bad any of these security teams practices these companies have, they are always vulnerable. The best we can ask for is that they are forth right and honest when they get hacked wide open. EG look at the Sony Network black out a few years back on how to do it wrong.

5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Which is why I very carefully limit my exposure by only using a single credit card with a carefully monitored limit for ALL of my online purchases that I don't make using PayPal from an account with finite funds present within it. And most of my personal information is not stored together with that credit card information - if it was, my personal on-line security would be far less protected than it is.
    Adobe has effectively precluded that sort of purchase behavior which limits one's online exposure to ID theft for most of their higher end products. The fact is, I can no longer buy Photoshop with a one-time in-store transaction using cash, or a credit card that is not linked to other key identifying criteria. I can still buy Elements that way, and thus, Elements is now the only Adobe product I will ever contemplate buying.

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    This morning I found a lovely message from Adobe saying my account is one of those compromised. Fortunately I hadn't used the same password on other web sites. Trouble is, after I "successfully" reset my password (according to Adobe), it now won't let me log in and just prompts me to reset my password again. I've done it twice, and I still can't log in at all. Shame on me for being so quick to follow instructions! :frown:

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Well I just spent an hour on the phone with Adobe. They had to do something to my account on their end and reset a password. Once the rep was able to log in, she sent me the password and told me to log in and change the password. I followed the directions in Adobe's email this morning and reset my password. Had I logged in and changed it (as I have in the past), there'd have been no problem. FYI. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
  9. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    B of A is sending me a new card...... guess that this is what that is about.

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It'll be costly for Adobe if they're found to be negligent. Even without any fraud, the banks will lilkely sting them around $30/card for the hassle of sending out replacements. Multiply that by $38m !

11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    And finally...

http://xkcd.com/1286/

who notes that "the only ones who come out of this looking smart are those that pirated PhotoShop". * **

:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

* Paraphrased.

**(Disclaimer: I do NOT advocate the pirating of software. I DO think it's a funny line, nevertheless.)

• Like Like x 1