1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Admitting it is the first step - wanting a DSLR

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by kevwilfoto, Dec 18, 2012.

1. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I've played with a number of DSLRs this year - Olympus E-30, Pentax K-30, Nikon D600 - but couldn't bring myself to buy back into the heavy systems with outrageously expensive lenses.

Yet ... I can't stop thinking about the feel of the grip in my hand.

I have the OM-D with the grip, yet my hand still cramps up after holding too long. I find myself thinking of the GH3 and wondering how nice the bigger size would feel in my hand.

I love the light weight of the µ43 system, but I'm think I'm coming down with DSLR-itis. Somebody help me! :)

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ankle weights on your wrists can simulate ...

• Like Like x 3
  3. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Just remember to shoot the OM-D from your waist every now and then ;)

4. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    I agree with you on the ergonomics. My Canon 60D feels much better in my hand. But I guess the choice comes down to hand cramp vs. back and neck pain :) Decisions, decisions.....

5. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Perhaps try a different trip? The RRS OM-D grip looks nice.

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    The D600 kit is still on special, body with a 24-85mm lens for just under $2000 U.S. :thumbup:

A year ago I would've dumped my gripped D300 in a heartbeat and moved to full frame.

Now, however, I know that as good as the Nikon is that it would sit unused most of the time. The DSLR's are simply too heavy for me to enjoy carrying all day.

There's always going to be something newer, shinier, with more resolution, more horsepower, chrome bumpers, fuel injected bumper bolts, shag carpeting...

I've reduced my GAS acquisitions by making certain the new gear passes at least one of two tests:

1. Will it help me get shots that I want to take and cannot get with my existing gear? Or:

2. Is it a bit of kit that is fun to use that I would use on a frequent basis?

There are lots of bodies and lenses that can help me get shots that I cannot replicate now (a 600mm birding lens, for instance) - but unless I'm interested in making birding shots then no matter how strong the GAS I don't get the gear. I had 'way too much Nikon gear that sat on the shelf, never being used.

The 15mm lens cap lens fell into category #2 - it's a fun bit of kit that I think will see a fair amount of usage, so it was added to my collection.

If a DSLR has better ergonomics (as the OM-D does for me) then perhaps you would be better served with one. A camera you like to use is one that you will use. I wouldn't dismiss the idea out of hand if a DSLR would improve your photography experience.

If it's just a question of being attracted to something new or different, that won't increase your appreciation of the hobby, then maybe hold off buying for awhile and see if the urge goes away on it's own.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Jim..I totally agree with you . Actually OMD takes a bit time to grow on you and once you are comfortable , its a beautiful camera. Every single device on the market will have some flaws and no camera is perfect. If any company gives you a perfect camera , they will be out of business the very next day hahahha. All of us are so much brain wahsed that it will take a while retune people's brain that FF is actually over rated and using a heavy camera out of the studio is actually tiring .Having said that , I think we should use whatever suits our needs, budget and comfort.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The :43: system has created a lot of GAS for me but I have zero interest in ever owning a DSLR again. I can understand that some folks will still need one, maybe even want one (?!?!?) but I have no desire to own one again. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I still have my Pentax DSLR kit and about a dozen lenses for it. Many of those lenses are DA Limited primes, so they are small and light.

Frankly, the Limiteds are the reason I haven't sold off my Pentax kit. I even picked up a Pentax K-01 body for $314 recently so that I could have something a bit smaller and simpler than my K-5 on which I could still use the Limited primes. And while I use my Pentax gear, I don't think I'll be adding to this kit much going forward. If the bodies break, it'll be decision time. But that's likely years away.

Full frame? Not even on my radar scope - unless someone handed me a Sony RX1 for free.

10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    GH3 will give you a lot of grip similar to a DSLR, and add back tons of manual control buttons to boot. If that's something you like in a camera but want to stick with m4/3 then it's a valid option. I've got the GH3 and D600 at the moment; my opinion is the GH3 has as comfortable of a grip, without the boat-anchor weight of the D600 in hand. If you can find a store near you with a GH3 in stock I'd definitely go check it out, it may be just what you're looking for.

My opinion: this is my first time using a DSLR system, but I can already tell you after a few days I'm not interested in lugging one around as a travel camera system. It's really heavy, much more than I expected even knowing it weighed about 200g more than the GH3 - which is already heavier than my other cameras have been. Despite the GH3's larger size it's still substantially smaller than the D600 and a lot lighter... add in the lenses and it's no contest. The only way I can see bringing the Nikon would be with single lens like a small 35mm or 50mm. If I wanted to cover the focal range I have on m4/3 with 7-14, 12-35, 35-100 it'd be many times heavier, bulkier, and considerably more expensive. If anything, having the D600 around has made me appreciate the GH3's DSLR like body without the accompanying weight and lens size that much more.

• Like Like x 2
  11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Wait until the full frame sensored Sony RX2 small mirrorless interchangeable lens system comes out....:wink:

12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah, but then it won't have any grip! The RX1 is about the size of a GX1, but without the rubber handgrip :tongue:

13. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I thought a little about the GH3 today but the price is more than I want to invest in a m4/3 body after spending lots on lenses; maybe later. If all goes as planned using m4/3 I may have a very lightly used, 1-year- old 5D MKII for sale if you need another great SLR in your hand. :wink:

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nothing wrong with trying the GH3 as long as you can afford it.

15. ayewing

ayewing New to Mu-43

Jul 15, 2012
    Peterborough, UK
    Archie Ewing
    I too become nostalgic for a DSLR occasionally. I switched from a Pentax K-5 to the Olympus OM-D a few months ago and really like it but the penalty for small size and weight is that the buttons are smaller more fiddly and I greatly preferred the menu system on the Pentax.

However I travel a lot and the prospect of stuffing a DSLR plus its large lenses into hand luggage brings me back to the reason why I switched in the first place. The Olympus does everything I need or want and it produces beautiful images.

Of course if finances permit running two systems.........

16. larryroohr

larryroohr New to Mu-43

Oct 8, 2010
    Ken, I noticed your in Colorado too.

I just bought into om-d and am selling my K5 setup. Let me know if your interested. If you happen to live close by I could let you borrow it for a while.

I'm in Niwot.

I'm just loving my om-d, it's just a fantastic fit for me so not looking back.

Larry

17. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Preach Rev...! Preach!

• Like Like x 1
  18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'd have an RX1 if I could afford it though - full frame in a small portable package....Nice.....(and add a Freniac grip)......:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Do you only use the E-M5 like a DSLR i.e. eye-level viewfinder only? If that is the case then you aren't losing very much by switching to a DSLR (and as long as you really don't care about the extra size and weight of lenses).

20. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I thought hard about the D600 today. But I don't want to give up my MFT stuff, and my SLT is just better for video which I need. Granted it is a DSLR, at least sort of. But I am still waiting for the traditional DSLRs to have the features I need, and also not have stupid quirks (eg D600 aperture in LV).