1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Admittedly a dumb question but....

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Monza76, May 28, 2012.

1. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I have an E-PL1 with the kit 14-42mm L(ite) lens and an E-P2 and a 17mm f2.8. Since I have the same number of camera bodies as I have lenses which combinations would you suggest?

A) kit lens on E-PL1 and 17mm on E-P2 or...

B) 17mm on E-PL1 and kit lens on the E-P2

I told you it was a silly question. The E-P2 has nicer controls and a great build quality but I understand that the E-PL1 has a lighter AA filter and may be a little bit sharper. Personally I don't think it makes much difference, cosmetically the silver 17 looks nice on the silver E-PL1 while the black kit lens looks good on the black E-P2.

Before you write me off as a total nut case could you think about it and choose A or B, just for the fun of it.

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Up to this time in my life I always felt that there aren't any dumb questions ...

Okay I was joking ... actually you posed a very interesting question ... which lens to you use most? I'd put the lens I use most often on the body I like the best and/or delivers the best IQ. There are other considerations, but I'd start with the above.

G

3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    It's a toss up because optically the 14-42mm kit and 17mm prime are approximately equal (aside from the 17mm being moderately faster) according to the lens review sites.

4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I'm not sure that optically there is any advantage. The 17 is said to perform about as well as the zoom. I don't have it and don't know from experience, but I've read as much. If that is the case, I'd put the 17mm on the E-PL1 to make a really small unit that could slip into an ample pocket.

That's what I'd do, barring revelations of optical reasons that I should take another approach.

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'd go with what Gary said. Put your primary lens on your preferred body.

Fred

6. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    G very funny :)
    Since the optical quality is so close I will probably keep the colour coordinated outfits and carry the E-P2 with black 14-42mm with me most of the time (greater flexibility) and use the E-PL1 with silver 17mm and VF-1 for those times that I want something different (like my very occasional street type photography). I try to convince myself that one combo is better than the other but they are in fact so similar that trivial cosmetics may be the only factor separating them.

BTW I have a SEMA-1 because it was on sale, it will stay with the E-PL1 since the built in mic is mono.

Thanks for answering my trite question.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    All things being equal ... then hell yeah, go for the sexy, high fashion, coordinated lens/body, GQ look.

G

8. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    This is a new sensation for me, I have never been fashionable before!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    It's a horrible burden to carry.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL ... looking good is part of the whole photographic experience. It is not coincidental that Photography and Panache both start with the letter P.

G

• Like Like x 1
  11. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    My fashion statements.

Attached Files:

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Those cameras couldn't be sexier if dressed in a wet T-Shirt.

G

• Like Like x 1
  13. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I guess it may be time to get that subscription to GQ, although at 56 it may not have quite the impact as it would have had 25 years ago. Well, at least my cameras are sexy.