Admins, For Sale - why only one post in 8hrs and not three in 24 ?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by blue, Aug 3, 2012.

1. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    Just been browsing the updated buy and sell rules, and am wondering about the restriction of only one thread allowed every 8 hrs (yes , I know it isn't a new rule but am prompted to post)

I guess the rationalle is to stop spammers, but really it just makes it awkward for genuine sellers. It's quite normal for someone to have a couple of lenses and a case, or a lens and some filters (for instance) that they are getting rid of. But this rule means effectively listing one a day. Putting them all in the same post is messy if an item gets sold or there are questions.

Would a three in 24 hours rule not keep down the spammers just as well, but with more ease of posting for the honest sellers ? Maybe even add a weekly cap too (though I don't think I've ever seen loads from any one person anyway).
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    I think that since the section is free and open to use, having some minor limitations shouldn't be too much of a bother. Given it is free for members to sell, putting some of the burden on the sellers to keep their listing of multiple items updated for potential buyers isn't too big of a deal to ask for (imho!). If I were selling I would only use multiple threads if they were different types of items, i.e. lenses, cameras, accessories.
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    another reason

In addition to cutting back on spam, imagine of every classified listing only had one item. Go take a look at the classifieds. I put on up the other day that had 5 items....there are many more with 2 or more items. If everyone listed everything separately, stuff would disappear from the front page quickly which would just result in more "bumping".

It isn't too much additional work for me when an item sells, I go edit the post. Takes about a minute. Just concise item descriptions in your title and people can see what you are offering. It helps buyers too because they have fewer listing to look through.

Basically you either have what someone is looking for or you don't. And your price is either low enough or it isn't. The little extra rules won't affect that. Good luck with your sales.
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Put all your items into one post. It's easy to manage. I've done it many times, and it's not an issue. I'd rather have that than a buy/sell forum cluttered with a lens hood here, a flash there, a battery over there, etc.
  5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    agreed. And honestly, I find it *easier* to manage as one post. Only one place to edit and mark up. Want to make it easier? Just copy the text into your favorite editor to manipulate and paste it back in.

Hell, I'd just link to a website and post it to multiple places to make it even easier... but that is usually frowned upon, heh.
  6. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    The *edit* option is your friend in the FS section. Keep it cleaned up and at least look like you are interested and care for the gear your selling and you should have no issues
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The short and true answer is that I copied that rule from, a site that has had a very busy and successful Buy and Sell board for many years now. My thinking was that they probably evolved those rules by a long and painful process of learning from experience and that I could avoid learning the hard way by adopting their way.

The longer answer is that my own gut feeling is to make it 1 listing per 24h and leave it at that. I don't see any reason to have more than one listing per 24h when we allow editing posts in that forum for up to 3 days. I've been combining my listings on various sites for years.

None of this has anything to do with stopping spammers. It's just a way to keep people from hogging up the top of the board with multiple listings bumped simultaneously. It doesn't always work, either, because a few people do post every 8 hours and then bump all at the same time. Some even do it under more than one username/account and probably think I'm unaware :rolleyes:.
  8. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    Amin, thanks for the reply. One of the things that makes it awkward when having to stick multiple listings in one post is thst other rule where you can't edit the title after one of the items sells. So as a buyer you see: "For sale, items A, B, C and D" then clicking into the post find that two or three of them have gone - but the title remains unable to be unedited until ALL have sold and it can be marked "completed" ?

Anyway these are just suggestions, seems like everyone else doesn't mind it.