Adjustment for Panasonic 100-400 lens on Olympus cameras FYI

mary

Mu-43 Veteran
I thought I would share my findings on the site so others might have a heads up to the mount problem . I called Panasonic to lodge a complaint about this lens being very tight on the EM 1 Mark ii. They directed me to Olympus stating this was their problem. I called Olympus and they agreed it was in fact a problem with this particular camera. They arranged for me to take the camera to a service center in NJ to have the springs adjusted on the camera to accommodate this lens..wow. Talk about quality control. I may have to switch back to my old system..never ever have I have any of these problems on my Nikon's. On a positive note Olympus's customer service is top notch.. They actually answer their phones in record time and give good solid advice.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Which may explain why my Olympus 40-150 feels somewhat sloppy on my panasonic GX8... :O

mary

Mu-43 Veteran
Because your Olympus camera was out of spec?
No that is a separate issue..I took the lens to service center .it has a defect in the glass on the inside of the mount on back..omg. What the heck..thank God not my fault..whew. It did not show up on pics at all.

Last edited:

Danny.

Just me
Real Name
Danny
I thought I would share my findings on the site so others might have a heads up to the mount problem . I called Panasonic to lodge a complaint about this lens being very tight on the EM 1 Mark ii. They directed me to Olympus stating this was their problem. I called Olympus and they agreed it was in fact a problem with this particular camera. They arranged for me to take the camera to a service center in NJ to have the springs adjusted on the camera to accommodate this lens..wow. Talk about quality control. I may have to switch back to my old system..never ever have I have any of these problems on my Nikon's. On a positive note Olympus's customer service is top notch.. They actually answer their phones in record time and give good solid advice.

So with this said ....... "I called Olympus and they agreed it was in fact a problem with this particular camera."

It's actually the Oly body that's at fault? or is it the lens mount that's at fault?

Danny.

BPCS

Mu-43 Veteran

This is odd. Olympus accepting responsibility for a Panasonic lens! My other Panasonic lenses do not feel tight on the EM1.2... makes no sense to me. Anyways, you got it fixed, so good outcome. As I have said before, Panasonic replaced my 100-400 with a different design mount weather seal. So they took responsibility for their own product as a solution. The plot thickens...

mary

Mu-43 Veteran
So with this said ....... "I called Olympus and they agreed it was in fact a problem with this particular camera."

It's actually the Oly body that's at fault? or is it the lens mount that's at fault?

Danny.

Danny.

Just me
Real Name
Danny
The mount is too tight so they adjust the springs??

So you are switching back to Nikon and getting rid of the Oly from what you are saying then.

In the other thread on this you were blaming Panasonic and you would never buy Panasonic again, but it's actually the Oly at fault with the springs in the mount according to Olympus.

Danny.

mary

Mu-43 Veteran
Not exactly..I am going back to a Tamron 150-600 lens on a Nikon body..for bird photography only. I have no birding lens for my Olympus that has enough reach to get a bird in the frame without a severe crop.Olympus is a great system for many other types of photography . I look forward to anyone who can suggest a lens with a reach of 950mm for my Olympus that doesn't require filing burrs off the mount, metal shavings dropping on the sensor, and using shoe shine to get the mount smooth enough to fix onto the lens.I wait with bated breath .As a side note, I have many lenses for my Nikon bodies including Sigma, Tokina, Tamron none of which have ever given me one day of aggravation. Panasonic and Olympus are supposedly interchangeable sharing the same mft platform and yet so many problems. I think it would be fair to say..don't mix brands. I would love to see Tamron make a birding lens for Olympus. I would take a 100-400 in a heart beat if it was light weight and give up the 150mm loss.They are a great company and make some very good telephoto lenses

Last edited:

AllanG

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Allan
I've never had any problems with Panasonic zooms on any of my 5 olympus cameras. All fit beautifully.
12-32, 12-50, 45-175, and 100-400mm zooms
EPL-1, EM5.1, EP5, Pen F and EM1.2

mary

Mu-43 Veteran
You are a lucky man Allen..check the web..tons of complaints about Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies..especially the 100-400...on th Em 1 Markii. If you don't believe me call Olympus and ask them about the 100-400 . They will refer you to a service center to have you mount adjusted..so you don't get metal shaving on you sensor or crack the lens mount. I really loved that 100-400 but so many quality control issues with it. Terrible.

Latest threads

Top Bottom