Adjusting 4/3 lens AF for the E-M1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by OzRay, Oct 18, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The other day I was doing some testing with my 14-35mm f2 and EC-14 tele-extender (a combination that I hadn't used before) and noticed that the images at wide and tele were pretty soft. There was certainly nothing wrong with the EC-14 as far as I knew, so I decided to see if AF focus adjustment would improve things. To cut a long story short, I went through numerous adjustments and finally settled on a -4 adjustment for both ends of the zoom. This is actually quite a substantial adjustment and when I went through the process with my E-5, I think the max was +/-2 for one of the lenses. So clearly the m4/3 bodies have some differences. However, it's great that you can do these adjustments and get things spot on.

As for the 4/3 lenses themselves, I haven't had to adjust any of them, as they appear to focus accurately. However, you do have to set the AF to 'Default Data', even without adjustments, so that the camera can use the factory settings for 4/3 lenses. I might have to do some focus testing using the EC-14 with my other lenses as well.

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Interesting observation... the fact that there is the ability to make the adjustments is wonderful..Shows that Olympus have an attention to detail and a commitment to their loyal customers over the years - the mark of a good marque :p-). Never having owned an E-5, i didn't realise it was a feature of that camera

care to share your steps for using this feature?

K

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    It does show a level of commitment that I think is important. Even with the best of manufacturing processes, and perhaps even with lens age and use, there can always be slight variations, so being able to precisely adjust AF is a very good thing.

4. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Now this is very very cool. Thanks ray. I need to try this with my 150f2.