Adding stuff that makes my hobby better....

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So I am now buying a new second monitor (27" only), added On1 NRAI, and upgraded my DAW (Samplitude Suite 6), and replaced all 4 fans in my computer. Amazing what pocket money you have when not buying cameras and lenses. Doing good have not bought anything since December (a second G9). And it is so good to really get back to imaging shooting weekly in all sorts of locations and subjects. Good to be alive.

Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Replacing fans is nothing. My computer is from 2009, so I need a completely new one, but with the current CPU and GPU shortages, it is hard. Probably I will have to wait for Ryzen 5600G coming this August. Only 65W TDP for CPU + GPU, so it will be a very quiet system. Only fans will be for the 5600G cooler, front intake, and PSU.

My current desktop system is 255W TDP combined for CPU and GPU, and 6 fans total. 65W vs. 255W. Think about that. It would have been nice to build a new system before summer, not only for more quiet and less electricity, but also less heat. Maybe in the long term, the cost of a new system is minimal. But I did get a tablet a few months ago, so the system is not on as much as before.

If you talk specifically about photography, maybe the best thing you can add is a photo printer like Epson P900 or Canon Pro1000. Research and experiment with different papers, matte/frame or mount the prints, hang them on the walls. I did buy into m4/3 system with a new body and lens around 1.5 years ago in preparation for a trip (which got cancelled due to COVID), so I do need to get one more lens, but after maybe I will concentrate on printing.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yes, waiting for next year before I plunk down $$$$ on a new "box". My computer was a good one 5 years ago (i7700/4200/32 gig ram, SSD/spinner, RX480 8 gig). Looking for 16 core/64 gig/couple of SSD's/Larger spinner and 8 gig fast GPU on the next one.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Yes, waiting for next year before I plunk down $$$$ on a new "box". My computer was a good one 5 years ago (i7700/4200/32 gig ram, SSD/spinner, RX480 8 gig). Looking for 16 core/64 gig/couple of SSD's/Larger spinner and 8 gig fast GPU on the next one.
Agree, Jeff. Except that my 2 general workstations are 9 y.o. They have both had significant upgrades since new.

Updating will extend to new MoBo, graphics card, 32-64 GB RAM and a fairly fast, fairly large SSD for a working drive. Current OS + program drive is 256 GB 6 Gbps Kingston SSD, so it should still be fine. Box is fine, so are all other peripherals.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Replacing fans is nothing. My computer is from 2009, so I need a completely new one, but with the current CPU and GPU shortages, it is hard. Probably I will have to wait for Ryzen 5600G coming this August. Only 65W TDP for CPU + GPU, so it will be a very quiet system. Only fans will be for the 5600G cooler, front intake, and PSU.

My current desktop system is 255W TDP combined for CPU and GPU, and 6 fans total. 65W vs. 255W. Think about that. It would have been nice to build a new system before summer, not only for more quiet and less electricity, but also less heat. Maybe in the long term, the cost of a new system is minimal. But I did get a tablet a few months ago, so the system is not on as much as before.

If you talk specifically about photography, maybe the best thing you can add is a photo printer like Epson P900 or Canon Pro1000. Research and experiment with different papers, matte/frame or mount the prints, hang them on the walls. I did buy into m4/3 system with a new body and lens around 1.5 years ago in preparation for a trip (which got cancelled due to COVID), so I do need to get one more lens, but after maybe I will concentrate on printing.
I actually did a bit of research with a Kill-A-Watt meter on a 2009 MacPro a while back (those ship with a near 1KW PSU and reach near 400W under load), and really, unless you load your system down for many hours a day, even an old system can be relatively efficient thanks to the idle and sleep efficiencies designed into anything built in the last 10 or so years. If your desktop only gets casual use and performs acceptably to you, then I would argue that upgrading it is considerably less efficient and will cost you more than just using what you have.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The key for me is editing 4K/5.5K video. Even todays fast systems once a lot of effects/grading are added can seem slow. Then we have rendering......

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
So I am now buying a new second monitor (27" only), added On1 NRAI, and upgraded my DAW (Samplitude Suite 6), and replaced all 4 fans in my computer. Amazing what pocket money you have when not buying cameras and lenses. Doing good have not bought anything since December (a second G9). And it is so good to really get back to imaging shooting weekly in all sorts of locations and subjects. Good to be alive.
Which monitor? I'm thinking about getting a 27" or 30" I am currently using a Dell P2519h, and while I find the resolution and other features plenty enough for my use, I would like something with a little bigger screen for processing.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Still evaluating. Maybe a 4k one to go with my second monitor (new one will be primary) which is a 50" 4K TV (which I use as a screen for remote use of my telescopes - makes the objects very large and clear). It will be at least 27" and with a fast response time.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Still evaluating. Maybe a 4k one to go with my second monitor (new one will be primary) which is a 50" 4K TV (which I use as a screen for remote use of my telescopes - makes the objects very large and clear). It will be at least 27" and with a fast response time.
I was doing some reading and from what I can tell, 27" is reaching the point that 1080 isn't enough resolution for graphic applications. Is that true, or is it technical hype?

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For stills my friend who shoots a D500/500mm f5.6 (he had the older 500 f4 but it fell and broke) uses a Dell "high resolution" 1080 27" screen and it has lots of detail even when viewed at 100%. 4K for me is only for video and astronomy (has to do with using remoted desktop and the transfer of images from the compute at the scope to my desktop), a good 1080 like my friends seems to be good enough at least for 20 meg sensors.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I was doing some reading and from what I can tell, 27" is reaching the point that 1080 isn't enough resolution for graphic applications. Is that true, or is it technical hype?
I would say that is accurate. Once you get into that territory, at least 1440P would be preferred. 1080P at 27" is a PPI of around 80, while 1440 is closer to 110 PPI, so you're going to start noticing the pixels. Considering the viewing distance for a desktop monitor (versus an HDTV, where you sit 6-10 feet away), you'll definitely see and appreciate the difference. At 27", you have enough screen space to support more resolution, so more stuff can fit on the screen. In photography terms, it means less panning and zooming while editing. 4K can look really good, but then you run into needing more resources to drive that many pixels. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but getting a good GPU these days is an expensive proposition! Integrated graphics will probably do okay, you just might need a bit more RAM.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom