Adding Quick Release to my Current Monopod?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by phrenic, Nov 4, 2012.

1. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hi guys,

I currently own a Slik lighty pod III Slik Lighty Pod III 618-719 B&H Photo Video
    (a simple, but effective mono-pod). The only thing missing from it is a quick release system. I'm moving over to arca swiss plates and was hoping to find a solution that worked with it. From my reading and tinkering around with it, it seems to not have a user replaceable head, so is there anything that would fit onto the existing tripod screw to provide an adapter of sorts to an arca swiss quick release?

2. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
  3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Awesome, that looks like exactly what I need. :) Thanks woof!

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
  5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hmmm interesting thoughts, thank you. Unfortunately, I am already invested in that system (via the peak design capture clip), though as you point out its not ideal for monopod use. I suppose I could use the clamp on my tripod(a cheap one without a release clamp).

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
  7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Chris, does your monopod have some kind of ball or other head on it? If not, I suggest something like the Manfrotto 494RC2 (Mini Ball Head With RC2 494RC2 - Classic | Manfrotto). Just putting a QR plate dirctly on a monopod severely limits the vertical angles you can shoot, since you have to tilt the whole monopod to shoot down or up.

If cost is a driver, the Velbon QHD-41Q is a decent option for, IIRC, a little less money.

If you already have a head on your monopod, then the 323 adapter will work fine.

In no circumstances would I consider the 234 head. IMHO it is a brain dead design because it effectively limits the user to horizontal format photos. Get a ball head instead.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    thanks for that info man. but though i like ball heads im not sure if that changes the purpose of the monopod for me. i usually jump on my monopod for birding and such, for everything else i use a proper tripod with a three pan head. and i like the monopod to minimize space and weight.

but that ball head look quite nice actually and is not too heavy?.

that 234rc one is quite nice cause i use the monopod to stabilize or pan my camera for in flight birds or doing some panoramas. so it tilts up and down left and right but the only difference with the ballhead is that i cannot get portraits easily? is that the only one?. or am i missing something else?.

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Well, the Manfrotto site says 0.32 kilos. You might want to check other similar Manfrotto heads for size and weight, as their numbering system is goofy and I am not sure that is the smallest one. The 234 with the QR is listed at 0,27 kg, so not much different.

I just weighed one of the Velbon QHD-41Qs that I have here and it is 0.11 kilo. Very small and light. There may be other manufacturers with similar products, too. I know of only these two plus the Gitzos, which are larger and heavier. But beautiful. i.e. Quick Release Off-center Ball Head G1276M - Off Centre Heads | Gitzo

Yes, I think that is the main difference. But to me it has no advantages over a ball head, so even if you thought you'd only want vertical format once in a while why would you pick the 234 over a ball head? YMMV, I guess. To me it is an incredibly brain-dead design.

10. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Peak Design makes a plate that works on Manfrotto and Arca Swiss. I have both types and I use that plate. Manfrotto has a better quick release system, and I have four of their heads as well as a couple lighter Arca Swiss heads.