Adding just ONE more lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dcisive, Jun 27, 2010.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    and I went back and forth over this decision. I've already got enough lenses to get the basic jobs done, but wanted a "all in one" solution for walk around use. I figured I'd wait for the Olympus to hit our shores with the 14-150 but I finally caved and ordered the 14-140 Panasonic. I just love their build quality and frankly have no issues with the added weight and size. Some obsess over this and I don't. I'm used to lugging around several pounds of DSLR gear over the last decade so 1lb isn't any big deal. I'm interested in IQ, and not as nuts about how much weight or size it might add. It's already small enough to make up for not taking a DSLR along. I'll be sure to submit my review and impressions of it when I receive it on Tuesday night. Perhaps even get some snaps off with it. :biggrin:
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I hope you like it. I followed (and commented on) your back and forth (and back again and now forth again - you may want to reconsider your screen name!) on the other forum and weighed in with my own experience. I certainly think you made the right call to order one. And I hope you love it and keep it a long time. But don't forget, if you do find the weight or size to be more than you want to deal with in an every day walking around lens, don't be afraid to return it. As I did. I seriously doubt you'll have ANY issues with the IQ - its a nice lens if the heft doesn't bug you.

Having returned the 14-140, I'm now seriously thinking about finding a body only ep1 (on closeout or ebay) to add to my kit, so I can have a second lens always at the ready when I'm out shooting. Cheaper and probably lighter than the Pany lens. Then again, I'm pretty comfortable with one camera and four lenses (five, but I generally leave either the kit lens or one pancake out of the bag when I'm out shooting).

3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    ive heard great things about the lens , does it feel big on the camera?
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    To me it did. Not so much big as heavy. I have the 45-200, which is bigger, but a few ounces lighter, and its never bothered me. But its generally not on the camera for long periods of time either. I put it on for a series of shots or an event, and then I take it off. When I tried the 14-140, I really found I didn't like that much weight affecting how the camera sat on my hip and bounced around on the end of the strap. Its very different than walking around with the 17, 20, kit lens, or 9-18 on there. After a day I was pretty sure I was gonna send it back and after two days, I did. I don't mind the weight in the bag, but on the camera I didn't like it.

But it doesn't seem to bother others. I asked the folks over at dpreview forums about that and several talked about using it as a walking around lens on their Oly pens and loving it. So its worth a try to see what your personal tolerance is. The upcoming Oly 14-150 is about the size of the Pany, maybe very slightly smaller, but is notably lighter, a couple ounces lighter than the 45-200, so that might be worth a try if you want a super-zoom. I've pretty much settled on not wanting a super zoom. Or just getting a second body and keeping either the tele or the UWA on it at all times while I keep a prime or occasionally the kit on the main body. Which would be less expensive than either of the super zoom lenses and a good deal less than the Pany. And probably lighter to boot.