Adding grain

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by JJJPhoto, Jul 18, 2012.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I'm attending a webinar right now with an award-winning photographer/cinematographer/director and one of the biggest things he keeps talking about is adding MORE grain/noise to digital images to create more texture and drama in stills and video.

It's refreshing to hear this when so many of the digital photography forums are filled with people complaining about noise.

It seems like at least 80 percent of what he is talking about is adding grain to create an aged/distressed look.

Sure, that's not for everybody, but it's nice to look at noise as a positive from time to time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Grain & noise look different to me.
    That being said, still interesting. :smile:

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Gainy images is one style. It works on some images, not so much on others. I tend to shy away from any advice that's pushing only one solution or approach for everything.

4. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Agreed. Some of his samples didn't look very good to my eye, but there were more than a few shots where I have to agree adding the fake grain/distressed look in Photoshop gave the images a very nice look.

5. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    In any case, that webinar reminded me of a photo I took last year of my daughter when I was messing around with the in-camera filters on my E-P3. Even though my eyes always go to the grain this image is one of my wife's favorite photos of our daughter (she's telling me to "shoo"):

OEP32795-X2.