1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adding Grain in Photoshop same as in Camera Raw

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by spacecreature, Mar 12, 2015.

1. spacecreature

spacecreature Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    Hey guys,
    Is there a way to add grain to your image in Photoshop, with similar sliders as in Camera Raw, ie amount, size, roughness sliders?

I like to add grain at the end of processing, since all the retouching will look funky if done on grainy images, plus adding grain at the end covers all the little errors and brings everything together. I know about the add noise filter on gray layer in photoshop, but it offers little options. There are presets in Camera Raw also that I wish to emulate, and like I said the effect is obtained by three sliders which are: amount, size, and roughness. There is also the grain filter in photoshop, but that one also has two different sliders : intensity and contrast ...so will be hard to easily plug in the numbers to get the same grain i want to copy from camera raw.

Other than that, do you recommend any grain plugins? Maybe I am crazy, but I think I have seen same sliders in one of them, but can't seem to recall which one. I thought it was in Nick's silver efex, but just checked and it is also different!

Thanks xoxoxox..............

2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I haven't used ACR as a standalone RAW editor in a long time, but doesn't it also read JPEGs and TIFFs? Could you just do all you need in Photoshop and then bring the image back into ACR as a JPEG/TIFF to use the grain sliders?

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Just save the file and re-open it in Camera RAW. You can open JPG and TIFF files in camera raw. It is one of the Open In... options.

4. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    What version of Photoshop do you have? The latest CC version gives you the option to use Camera RAW as a filter, or use the Add Noise filter. If you convert your layer(s) to a Smart Object you can edit your application of ACR or Add Noise later.

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

In PS CC either convert your layer stack into a smart object or flatten your edit before output, then do Filter-> Camera Raw Filter.

6. spacecreature

Dec 7, 2012
    I have Photoshop CS6 and can't seem to find the camera raw as a filter some of you have mentioned, I think that was included in the latest cloud version right? or do previous versions have it too?

Do you mean in windows when I right click on the jpeg and then select "open with", or is there a "open in" option in the Photoshop menu you are referring to??

Thanks.

7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Also hold shift when you're opening the RAW file initially and it will open as a smart object. If you then want to change anything in the original raw conversion (like adding grain) you can double click the smart object and it will edit in raw.

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    In CS6, you might need to do the open with in Bridge.

9. spacecreature

Dec 7, 2012
    Ok I gave it a try in Bridge (though it seems overly complicated as opposed to something you can access more easily in photoshop) and I got the following error message : "Camera Raw editing is not enabled. Camera Raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature"..

I then opened a raw file from within bridge it opened, then tried again to open a jpeg and it still gave me that message..

10. spacecreature

Dec 7, 2012
    Yeah I know about that, I always open my files that way, but the problem is after I retouch on layers above, thats when I actually need to add the grain so reopening the lower layer back in camera raw won't be usefull then for me.