Adding external microphone jack...

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by f2&bethere, Nov 23, 2013.

1. f2&bethere

f2&bethere Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    Is it possible to use the Olympus external microphone jack adaptor in the hotshoe of a Panasonic camera like the gx7?

Has anyone tried this?
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    If you're talikg about the SEM-1 microphone kit, no it won't work. The port accessories aren't interchangeable.

3. f2&bethere

f2&bethere Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't suppose Panasonic offers an option....
  4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nope! They want you to buy a GH! At least they have added a jack to the G6 which is a model down but all other Panasonic models have NO external mic ability. I find this odd since Panasonic is the brand concentrating on better video for m4/3. The best mic inputs for m4/3 would be the AF100, it has two XLR inputs with full external manual controls!
  5. bradbrooks

bradbrooks New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2013
    I was debating this issue when deciding to get the GX7 because I shoot a fair amount of video with audio. However, in my workflow, the lack of a mic input on camera is not much of an issue. This is because even with a really good mic I am still going to want to do something to the audio in post (adobe audition for me) and end up syncing the audio anyways. In other words, If it is important enough to deliver the best audio then I know I'm not going to be content with leaving it just as it comes into the camera.