Adding a teleconverted to legacy macro lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by uci2ci, Oct 22, 2012.

1. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I've been thinking of a way to add more magnification to a Vivitar 100 2.8 in canon FD mount. Not wanting to shorten the working distance with tubes and diopters, I'm looking into a 2x teleconverter. I understand I'll lose 2 stops in light, but I figured its not an issue considering that I need a large DOF anyways and I'll be useing flash.

Does anyone have any experience using the teleconverter with a macro lens? How are the results? Any brand recommendations?

2. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
  3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
  4. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Can't complain about the price either, can you? :biggrin:

5. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Nope :smile:

In my haste, i bought a kiron mc7 tc for 25 bux. If the kiron fails to impress, ill definitely get vivitar

6. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Thanks for sharing link. Have to file that one away.

7. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Get one that is inserted between the back of the lens and the adapter rather one that screws into the filter thread. They're old school (like your lens) like this or a real hometown photo shop that might have "used" bins to brows through. Buy one with your lens' mount either by the brand or Vivitar. Others are probably OK. Personally I'd try not to spend more than $10 including shipping.

• Like Like x 1
  8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Yup, thats pretty much what i got. Just a different brand

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    So, how does a teleconverter mess with the calculations for "Close Focus"? Say I have a lens that can go to 1:5, and add a 2x teleconverter. Does it make it a 1:2.5?

How does the calculations work on the linked Macro teleconverter on non 50mm lenses?

10. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    that is my understanding. It gives you twice the magnification at the same focus distance. The Vivitar Macro Focusing TC, which is essentially a TC and an adjustable tube will also let you focus closer than your lens specs, so your magnification will be even higher than 2x.

I'm a bit surprised we don't see something like the Vivitar TC being made for modern lenses. Its a very cool gizmo.

11. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    Because Canon or Nikon or whoever couldn't sell you a teleconverter AND macro rings that way. :p