Adding a Sony A7ii with manual lenses to M43 system

Shawn_D

Mu-43 Regular
I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Sony A7ii to use with my collection of vintage Minolta MC/MD glass. So far I think it's going to be a perfect compliment to my existing M43 system. I use a GX9 with 15f1.7, 20f1.7, 25f1.4, 42.5f1.7, and 60f2.8. It's tiny, fast, fun and my primary kit (I'm 99% black and white, 11x14 and smaller prints). During my film years I always found it helpful to have a second format to use just to mix things up once in awhile.

That's what led to my decision to get the Sony A7ii. So far it's been a lot of fun and I'm actually finding it easier to focus the old lenses with the Sony than it was using my old SLRs. Plus, I've been thinking about doing some night photography this fall so it might be nice to try that with the bigger sensor (we'll see how the old lenses handle it, though...)

Anybody else do something similar just to mix it up?

Shawn from Pittsburgh

PSX_20190823_211913.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Jon Li

Mu-43 Regular
I hv Sony A7ii too beside m43 bodies , I use the Sony for manual focusing using manual lenses from film Era but I m not too happy with the Sony for its battery life , I carry 2 spares n still not enough for a day's average usage but other than that , the Sony A7ii is ideal for the tasks.

Shawn_D

Mu-43 Regular
Yeah, I have two batteries. I think I'm going to grab two more and that should be plenty. I don't really mind buying the batteries but I wish they had included the stand alone charger. At least it was only $35, much cheaper than my GX9 charger.

I'm really enjoying using the MF lenses again. So much fun. And then it's fun to switch back to the Pany gear, too.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
At current used prices, you can't beat the A7II for adapting manual SLR lenses. It comes with IBIS, doesn't suffer from sensor reflections of the 1st gen A7 and it has EFCS which minimizes shutter vibration. Just buy a bunch of NP-FW50 batteries and you'll be set!

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
I still have a dozen or so OM primes so I got an A7ii some time ago. I'm waiting to see what the rumoured new APS-C models will bring to the game. An APS-C model will give my telephotos more reach and my manual focus m4/3 lenses will adapt to it.

kinlau

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I picked up an A7S for the low light and use it with my MC/MD, Canon FD, LTM and M-mount lens. 12mp is plenty for a lot of this old glass.

I can see an A7iii as a possible upgrade later as I also have a lot of EOS glass.

Shawn_D

Mu-43 Regular
I still have a dozen or so OM primes so I got an A7ii some time ago. I'm waiting to see what the rumoured new APS-C models will bring to the game. An APS-C model will give my telephotos more reach and my manual focus m4/3 lenses will adapt to it.
Those OMs are nice! I had an opportunity to pick up a several of them on the cheap about 10 years ago and passed it up. Sure wish I had grabbed them.

I was thinking something similar. I have an MD adapter for M43. My 135mm 2.8 and 200 f4 held up well on a 16mp body... Haven't tried them on my 20mp body. 270mm and 400mm could be a lot of fun.

Shawn_D

Mu-43 Regular
I picked up one of the new Sony 35mm 1.8 FE lenses and took it and the A7II to a botanical gardens with my wife yesterday. I knew I should have taken the GX9 but excitement over a new lens won out.

It worked out fine but next time I'm sticking to m43 for those types of situations. Despite the Sony kit being reasonably small and light it's no comparison to the GX9 and tiny lenses in those areas.

I'm finding its hard to beat M43 for macro, too. Handling and ease of getting into position are just so good with a small body and that Oly 60mm 2.8.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom