• Please note: A site subscription is required to start a new listing in our Buy & Sell forum. There is an option to subscribe for a month for $5 if you would like to sell something without a longer subscription.

All transactions (buy, sell, and trade) in the Buy & Sell forum are strictly at your own risk. Mu-43.com and its owner are not affiliated with anyone buying, selling, or trading on the board. We are not liable for any misrepresentation, fraud or spam posted here. The remainder of our Buy & Sell forum rules are in the Site Terms of Service, which you can read here: https://www.mu-43.com/help/terms

[WTB] Add-on grip for GM5 (like LB-GM1 or DMW-HGR1S). Ships: N/A

Buy/Sell feedback for DeeJayK (7)

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
User name: DeeJayK

Items to sell/buy/trade: Add-on grip for GM5 (like LB-GM1 or DMW-HGR1S)

Prices:

Ships to: N/A

Description: I recently acquired a tiny DMC-GM5 and of course the first thing I want to do is make it bigger. ;)

As many others have found, the camera really needs some sort of front grip. I know that there are some options for stick-on grips, but my preference would be for a detachable one like one of these:

lb-gm1 grip tripod attachment DMW-HGR1S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Panasonic DMW-HGR1S (left); Neewer LB-GM1 (right)

Without any first-hand experience with either of these, I think my first choice would be the Neewer L-plate option. Unfortunately, neither of these seems to be available from any source I can find (new or used), hence this post.

If you have any other item that is similar in function to either of these, please feel free to share.

Images for this listing: File(s) attached

Payments accepted: Regular PayPal (fee included in price), Regular PayPal (buyer adds 3% for this option)

Shipping method:

Shipping charge:

Handling time:

References:

Additional comments: (DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

I have read and agree to the Buy and Sell rules. Yes

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Claude
I recently acquired a tiny DMC-GM5 and of course the first thing I want to do is make it bigger.
May I ask why?
If you wanted a bigger camera, you could have gotten something like a G3 or G5 for much less cost, or maybe for the same price, a GX85 which is a much better camera...

I have a GM5 and I know I paid a premium for this beautiful piece of engineering that packed a resonably capable camera in such a small envelope. But its greatest asset is its small size that make it fit in a pocket (and its cutiness also I must confess) - so why make it bigger?

And about the Sony grip I can confirm it helps holding the camera without making it bigger.
GM5_O17 200701_8269(crop).jpg

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
May I ask why?
If you wanted a bigger camera, you could have gotten something like a G3 or G5 for much less cost, or maybe for the same price, a GX85 which is a much better camera...

I was being a bit cheeky with that comment. I'm aware that its diminutive proportions are what make the GM5 special. I'm aware also that larger (and more functional?) cameras exist in the system. My primary body is an E-M1. My goal is not to turn the GM5 into something like the E-M1X.

My primary concern is ergonomics. I just want something that would make the camera a bit easier to hold. Also I don't believe the slight increase in the height caused by the baseplates of these designs would eliminate its size advantages.

And yes, I know about the RX100 grip option, as well as the (sadly discontinued) Franiac grip and the Flipbac grip. I'm just not a big fan of stick-on grips, although I might end up there.

Thanks for the suggestion.

- K

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
The black version seems to be available on Amazon. Another note, the reason I never got the Panasonic version was it had to be remove for every battery change.

The Franiac was the best, sadly no longer available. Sony is almost as good. I remove the flipbac.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
The black version seems to be available on Amazon. Another note, the reason I never got the Panasonic version was it had to be remove for every battery change.
Hmmm, if it is, I can't seem to find it. This is all I see:
Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 7.37.10 AM.png

Any chance you have a link to what you saw?

The Franiac was the best, sadly no longer available. Sony is almost as good. I remove the flipbac.
Yeah, the consensus seems to be that the Franiac was the best of the stick-on options. Makes sense, I guess, since AFAIK it's the only one which was designed specifically for the GM1/GM5. I figured finding one of those was going to be harder than finding one of these out-of-stock removable versions.

Thanks for the opinion on the Flipbac as well. I was leaning toward that over the Sony as my fallback position. What is it about it that you didn't like (shape, material, quality, etc.)?

- K

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith

I've seen that post and other Sugru suggestions, but thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, based on my past experience with the stuff, I doubt mine would come out looking even as good as the one that dude made. I do typically value function over form, but I want a camera (at least one that's new to me) to look nice.

I guess the theft-deterrent aspect is worth considering, though. ;)

- K

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've seen that post and other Sugru suggestions, but thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, based on my past experience with the stuff, I doubt mine would come out looking even as good as the one that dude made. I do typically value function over form, but I want a camera (at least one that's new to me) to look nice.

I guess the theft-deterrent aspect is worth considering, though. ;)

- K

I can't argue with that. I made one that looks way worse than what I linked as well, but it really works in terms of grip-enhancement. I tend to dislike the L-plate options. I wish that Panny offered grip options for their smaller cameras like Oly did for E-PL5. Hell, I wish Oly offered that on more cameras.

1615912126399.png

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
After adding a Gordy's wrist strap and an embossed skin, I'm beginning to question whether a grip is absolutely necessary. The pebble of the skin might provide just enough extra friction to make it superfluous.
P3300001.jpg

That said, if anyone has one of the baseplate screw-on grips or a source to one at a reasonable price, I'd be interested in trying them.

Which is all a long way to say: "bump".

- K

ABFoz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
No estoy listo para esto todavía.
After adding a Gordy's wrist strap and an embossed skin, I'm beginning to question whether a grip is absolutely necessary. The pebble of the skin might provide just enough extra friction to make it superfluous.
Good job on the reskinning! If I am to do it, I may go with the navy blue crinkled version.

You're right, the new skin may be good enough to provide some grip.

Here's what I did on mine. I placed a hardware stick-on furniture base grip on mine.

5WExM5v.jpg

This is just a trial, hence the crude cutting as this is just an off-cut. I may be able to properly shape/taper another one but this will do for now.

This is good enough for me. The material is really, really, really sticky. Cheers.

Last edited:

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Good job on the reskinning! If I am to do it, I may go with the navy blue crinkled version.

You're right, the new skin may be good enough to provide some grip.

Here's what I did on mine. I placed a hardware stick-on furniture base grip on mine.
View attachment 880836
View attachment 880837

This is just a trial, hence the crude cutting as this is just an off-cut. I may be able to properly shape/taper another one but this will do for now.

This is good enough for me. The material is really, really, really sticky. Cheers.
That actually looks pretty good considering it's improvised and particularly if it's just a test fit.

If I'm honest, the skin probably is only very slightly more grippy than the stock. I think it's really the wrist strap that provides enough confidence to eschew a grip. And this thing looks so great (IMO) with its new skin that I don't really want to cover it with a stick-on grip.

If you get the grip from Aki-Asahi (the only source I'm aware of anyway), it's a great, though not perfect fit. I had to do a bit of cleanup with an exacto knife to get it the edges to lay down. I probably should do a bit more, but my blade is a bit too dull to work really well, so I stopped. Also, I was disappointed after I got it on that it didn't include a skin for the little thumb grip on the back. I just looked at his website which has been redesigned in the past week and noticed he now sells the thumb grip bit separately. If that was an option on the old site, I missed it completely.

I'm considering reaching out to see if I can get a small piece of matching leather to see if I could cover some sort of home built or 3rd party grip with it. I don't have a lot of confidence that I have the fabrication skills to pull something like that off, though.

- K

ABFoz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
No estoy listo para esto todavía.
I think it's really the wrist strap that provides enough confidence to eschew a grip.
I agree. I was shooting the other day when I tripped backward when I stumbled upon a signboard stand. I didn't fall down but used my hands to counterbalance. My right hand had the GM5 and I thought I was going to throw it away but luckily, the knuckle strap I made secured the camera to my hand.
RPROY7g.jpg

Apologies for the low-light iPhone SE photo.

Here is the much more secure handmade strap I made based on a high-quality UV stabilised rope that I use in the field.
hLBuOHE.jpg

It doesn't have any weaknesses vs the ones you can buy online. It's half the size of the GM5 so I had to replace it with a knuckle strap.

Here is the usual stick-on grip one can buy off Ebay. The photo is from a TradeMe seller.
1617233853500.png

I believe the Flipbac option is a much better bet as it is silicone and made in Canada.
1617234023500.png

I personally would go for the G2 as I like the Franiec-like design.

If you get the grip from Aki-Asahi (the only source I'm aware of anyway), it's a great, though not perfect fit.
Thanks for the pointer. I will definitely buy from Aki-Asahi if I am going to reskin my GM5.

I'm considering reaching out to see if I can get a small piece of matching leather to see if I could cover some sort of home built or 3rd party grip with it. I don't have a lot of confidence that I have the fabrication skills to pull something like that off, though.
I didn't know they stock the thumb grip skin, as well. Now that you've mentioned it, I am thinking of adding a 3M stick-on layer to increase the grip.

Some users use the hot shoe grip and claim that it changed their GM5 shooting lives but i am not really happy in putting that sort of strain on the hot shoe which I still use for the flash.
1617234374200.png

That will surely increase security but I would rather go for the additional thumb skin/grip. Cheers.

I’m happy with half case and wrist strap.
I believe GM1’s dimensions were compatible.

sorry no link but this ebay search will have an option…

Genuine Real Leather Half Camera Case Bag Cover for Panasonic GM1 GM1S Black

Hope this helps

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
View attachment 880775

That said, if anyone has one of the baseplate screw-on grips or a source to one at a reasonable price, I'd be interested in trying them.

Which is all a long way to say: "bump".

- K
These colors are looking gorgeous!

Real Name
Andrew Lossing
For what it's worth I really liked the HGR-1 on my GM5. Adds plenty of grippage without making it much bigger. Only inconvenience was the blocked access to the battery compartment, which was not a big deal.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
For what it's worth I really liked the HGR-1 on my GM5. Adds plenty of grippage without making it much bigger. Only inconvenience was the blocked access to the battery compartment, which was not a big deal.

Thanks to this thread getting bumped today, I took another look around to see if there was any availability. I came across an HGR-1 at Samy's Camera at US$49. While that was still more than what I'd like to pay, it's $20–30 cheaper than it was when I've seen in the past, so I decided to take a shot. I was kinda looking for black, but they only has silver. I think it will still look okay.

- K

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom