Adchoices insane

Discussion in 'Site information' started by T N Args, Jul 20, 2016.

1. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Not sure I've ever seen such an intrusive and unacceptable 'free site with advertising' as the new way that Adchoices adverts are coming up right over the middle of the thread content on mu-43.com

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That shouldn't be happening, can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

3. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Ok, I will try. I'll be staring at and shuffling my feet if it turns out to be some adware that got on my work PC. But it ONLY happened on this site.

If no one else has seen it, I will put it down to other causes.

4. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    I think I have the same problem. I often go to click on a forum thread
    and get taken to aliexpress. It happens far too often to be clicking on the ad space
    at the top of the page by mistake. Have to back arrow to get back to mu43.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I started using a new ad network called ******, but those ads are configured to only show in the footer (at the way bottom of the page). If they are somehow causing these problems, then I will stop using them. Maybe somehow they are responding to a mouseover?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  6. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Just subscribe and make them go away :drinks:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I was just thinking, " I don't see ads at all. "

I'm a subscriber.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    :) I appreciate the sentiment, Larry, but I want to make the site a good experience for non-subscribers also.

It's a kindness that people are even willing to view the ads (we all know they have options), and I certainly don't want to abuse that kindness.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Been there, done that. :coffee-30: it was supposed to be auto-renewing, but it lapsed.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I am not seeing it today so far. I suggest we park this issue pending further appearances of the issue.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    I think AdChoices is run by Google and you can Opt In and what advertising you get, is more profiled by the material you browse. If you opt out, that is not the case so you end up with even more and it's content is a lot more diverse. Unfortunately, if you Opt IN, you cannot as far as I am aware, [1] Apply filtering so that certain types of advertising are shown or blocked [2] Specify where this advertising is shown on your screen (eg in one of the corners etc. Regarding [2], I cannot see why offering this would be that difficult to configure.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    After getting a very questionable ad while browsing the site today. I decided to drop the new advertiser. They paid well, but no amount of money is worth seeing popups and such.

• Like Like x 4
  13. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Thanks Amin. I feel a bit bad if this is the outcome of my starting a thread with an issue that I wasn't able to replicate. You are entitled to your revenue streams for all the work you do, IMHO. I started the thread partly to see if there was a groundswell of concern.

Anyway -- the above action you took shows what high standards you have for your site's viewers. Another reason for people to sign up to mu-43.com.

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm going to give them one more chance, because I'm not 100% sure they were the ones with the bad ads. Occasionally Google lets a bad one through as well.

Okay, that didn't work out. Had some video ads play with sound :eek:.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  15. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    I've spend a lot of time here, enjoyed it a lot and learned heaps so have just made a donation. Keep up the good work Amin and I hope the community stays as enjoyable as it is.

• Like Like x 2
  16. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ya definitely can't have that. After all, how I am supposed to get away with screwing off at MU-43 while at work with those ads? :blush:

• Like Like x 1