Adaptor shop

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Sugarman, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Sugarman

Sugarman Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    I suppose this is posted up here on the forum somewhere but hunting around here last night I couldn't find anything like this.

This is an ebay shop that seems to have a very good selection of adaptors of all types especially to u4/3.

They have a very good reputation for fast and efficient dealings here in Spain

RainbowImaging | Micro 4 3 Adapters, Hand Strap Neck Strap y NEX adapter | eBay.com

I hope it is of help

Cheers

Joe

2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
  3. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    I am glad I am not the only one that buys each keeper lens its own adapter.

Thought I was crazy. :smile:

BK

4. michaelfinch

michaelfinch Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2010
    Lancashire, England
    Hi all. These items seems very inexpensive compared with some. I'm looking at a Rainbow M39 to MFT for just $13. A similar UK sourced product is nearer $50. Is there a catch?
    Cheers
    Michael

5. No catch. You've just avoided a whole chain of middlemen taking their cut, along with the government taking their cut from each of those cuts. The world of from-distributor-to-your-door has arrived.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I must have six if their adapters and a few of their lens hoods. I have always found their stuff to be quite good. I will say however that I have had one of their adapters be too loose on one of my lenses (I think it was a Konica 24/2.8). It was fine on another lens of the same make so it wasn't a big deal. That said, I have no hesitation buying from them.

Kevin

7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Doesn't mean we're not ... :biggrin:

8. michaelfinch

Sep 24, 2010
    Lancashire, England
    Thanks all. I'll be buying soon.
    Cheers
    Michael

9. Sugarman

Sugarman Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Thanks for the comments. It's nice to know that it seems a safe outlet in general.

Cheers

Joe

10. steveodaniel

steveodaniel New to Mu-43

Jan 27, 2011
    Murray, KY, USA
    Thanks for the comments on adapters. I just bought a new GH1 body and am new to the micro 4/3 world. I have a bunch of FD lenses and really want to try these lenses out with this camera. I'm trying to figure out what adapter to order. Some reviews have said certain adapters don't fit well. I need some direction!!

11. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    I feel the same way. I have some Vivitar lenses with a multiple adapter design which allowed them to be adapted to Canon FD which I have, or Nikon F (if I could actually find one). I have had the same trouble determining what is the best without spending $150+ on an adapter. I have a Fotodiox adapter on order and I intend to make a pretty good posting on it once I have it in hand, good or bad.

From what I have gathered so far, if you go ahead and buy the Japanese made adapters (or German), there will be little to no chance you'll experience problems people seem to have with the $30 category of adapters.

My biggest requirement is infinity focus, because I have a 400mm (but only f6.3) lens that I am very interested in using, and without the inf. focus there would be no point in using it. (the min. focus distance is 25 feet)

Anyway, my adapter should be here around Feb 1. My camera is an E-PL1 but in theory it will work the same on both.

UPDATE: Got my c-mount adapter yesterday(JAN 31). Short review, focuses to inf. well. The lens is 25mm native F1.9, very little vignetting only on the corners. Must stop it down to 4-5.6 to eliminate a hazy look to the image. Will post pics once the sun comes back out, plus my other Fotodiox adapter just arrived today. Too bad I work late, can't really play with it until tomorrow.

12. The cheaper adapter brands seem to be quite conservative when it comes to the registration distance, which is mostly an acknowledgement of their lack of faith in their fine manufacturing tolerances as anything. They tend to be built delibrately short to ensure infinity focus and most of them allow to focus 'beyond infinity' (which sounds very Buzz Lightyear). This is preferable to the alternative of not having infinity focus, but does mean that you can't just adjust the focus to the infinity stop to shoot a distinct landscape for example

13. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    Hello all,

If you rack your lens until it stops at infinity, aren't you really focusing past infinity? Your depth of field is usually between f-stops on the lens barrel, unless you are shooting wide open. Since you theoretically can't focus to infinity because it is an abstract concept and doesn't really exist as a focusing point.

Help me out here. I was taught (last century) to back off of infinity just bit to gain maximum sharpness on the furthest focus point when shooting landscape and buildings. I'm just getting back into photography after a 20 year hiatus (family fun pics don't count). I'm trying to understand.

I'm using a RainbowImaging adapter on my Konica glass and haven't seen any problems, except the lens plate portion of the adapter was loose, screwdriver took care of that on day one.

Dan
    Panasonic G2
    (1st post, take it easy on me)

14. michaelfinch

Sep 24, 2010
    Lancashire, England
    Hi all. I ordered my Rainbow (M39) adaptor last Thursday. It arrived today. Works well and appears to be well made. Price very attractive too at $19 (£13.50) all in. I'd recommend them.
    Cheers
    Michael