Adaptor help with Tamron SP AF90

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Phil B, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    Hi guys,

I've just bought myself a Tamron SP AF 90mm macro lens which is fitted with the Adaptall 2, Pentax K mount.

From what I can gather I have 2 options, buying the Adaptall 2 m4/3 adaptor, or buying a Pentax K m4/3 adaptor.

Although the Adaptall 2 option is twice as much, I presume this will be better as there will only be 1 adaptor on the lens instead of 2? Any advise would be appreciated.

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I'd go for the Pentax adapter - there are more K mount lenses out there if you decide to purchase something else in the future. As long as it is a Tamron adaptall-to-k adapter (which would be made with the proper registration distance) I wouldn't be concerned with using multiple adapters.

3. theunartist

theunartist Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    The "Adaptall" was designed so bases (mounts) could be swapped and same lens could be used on different camera's, e.g. Nikon or Canon or Pentax... If I am understanding your question, you will alway need a lens base (mount) no matter what adapter you use, you cannot bypass the mount. I would buy the K to m4/3...

4. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    Thanks for the advice, I'm new to all this and wanted to make sure I took the right option

5. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Pentax adapter cheaper and you will be able to use it for other PK lenses :D

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I use a Tamron lens with the adaptall OM adapter, then an OM to four-thirds then four-thirds to micro four-thirds. No problems at all.

Fred

7. theunartist

Jul 5, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
  8. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    The lens came today, still waiting for the adaptor to come.

It's an SP 90 52BB. It looks great. It came with a Hoya HMC Sklight 1B filter, lens hood and carry bag, along with the 1x extension tube. Will try to get some photos of it done tomorrow.

Any tips on using this with the E-PL1? Anything I need to know? I just hope the adaptor comes soon!

9. theunartist

Jul 5, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    From what I've read about the 52BB, it's a superb lens with no real complaints other than it's size and weight... Use the link above to the 52B and you can read what others have said.

It should work nicely on your Olympus in Manual Mode. I've found metering on my G10 to be spot on, and after a bit of practice, focusing is pretty good. I think your biggest challenge will be balancing your camera/lens while at the same time, focusing; the lens probably has a very long throw, meaning from minimum to infinity focus will most likely be over 360ยบ... it'll just take practice.

Congrats again, I'd take the lens :thumbup:

10. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    Thanks, will have a look at the link. I'm looking forward to trying it out and will post up some photos of my efforts ( if I get anything worth looking at! ) as soon as I've had chance to use it.

:smile:

11. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    Sounds like a good lens from those reviews. My Kiwifotos adaptor arrived today, a nice snug fit with the lens and camera. I've taken a couple of test shots to make sure it all worked and everything looks good.

I'm going to need to practise with my technique hand-holding the camera though, I'm a little shakey even with the IBIS!

One more question......if you set the lens length for the IBIS, do you have to change the setting back to what it was when I put one of my Olympus lenses back on? Or will the camera sort it out?

Hope to get some images done over the next few days :smile:

12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Native lenses will tell the camera the focal length so there's no need to change the setting.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Using a micro 4/3 or 4/3 lens should override the manual focal length setting and the camera will read the FL directly from the lens. Conversely the next time you attach a manual lens it will remember the last FL you specified i.e. 90mm in this case.

• Like Like x 1
  14. theunartist

Jul 5, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    The only lens I can't seem to hand hold easily is a 135mm Macro, once I get down to 1:3 or 1:2, I lose it and that's on a heavier dSLR body... :eek:

It'll take practice and some technique...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    I'm the same with my Oly 40-150 at the longer side, so my current technique suits the middle of the range. I was ok with my P&S but moving to a better camera has shown that my holding technique needs alot of work. Still, I didn't expect to be great at taking photos as I teach myself the ins and outs of better equipment.

I guess the easier option for both lenses will be a tripod, and it will be quite a while before I bother to put on the extension tube. I'm just glad I didn't try this with a film camera, I'd have paid a fortune for a load of blurry photos.