Adapting enlarger lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by voltcontrol, Apr 29, 2013.

1. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Adapting enlarger lenses...
    Please, tell me if this is madness or bliss?

I've ran across this adapter:

Adriano Lolli

And some very cheap Rodenstocks 210mm's. I'm curious what the pro's ans cons of using enlarger lenses is, what good lenses are and how to adapt them.

Looking forward to your reactions. :)
  2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Enlarger lenses tend to make good macro lenses, being particularly good for copying flat images, and as you say they can be quite cheap. (Most lenses do not focus at the quite same distance in the centre as they do at the edges, macro lenses and enlarger lenses are carefully controlled in this respect.)

They do add complications in focusing though as they don't come with any focusing mechanism. I've used them on a DSLR in a variety of mounts - helicoid extension (similar to the one in your link), a standard macro bellows & a tiltable DIY plunger mount. The distance from the lens to the sensor will have to equal to the focal length (infinity) or greater to get a focus. If your after macro 1:1 requires total distance of twice the focal length, so the 210mm might be somewhat clumbersome. My enlarger lenses are 50mm & 75mm, so I have to add an extension tube to use the 75 with two of my mounts even for distant objects.

Personally I think the very basic nature of enlarger lenses makes them great for learning and experimenting. It's relatively easy to produce lensbaby style tilt/shift mounts for them, and they can even be used for freelensing.
  3. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA