Adapting an older ultra wide add-on to a mu43 native lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by voltcontrol, Jun 11, 2013.

1. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    So: I have Panasonic 14mm 2.5 and I recently picked up a Schneider-Kreuznach Nizo II ultra wide add-on lens.

(How) would you guys adapt this add-on ultra wide to the Mu43 lens?
    I'm looking forward to your suggestions!

Tips for other ultra wide solutions for mu43 are also welcome.
  2. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    The Schneider-Kreuznach Nizo ultrawide series attachments require macro capability. I don't think the Panasonic 14mm/2.5 has a close enough focussing distance to work with them without a macro extension tube behind it. Then, you'll lose ability to adjust aperture.
  3. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    if I read it correctly, you can use a step-up filter like this one at Amazon
  4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Actually these extension tubes retain focus and aperture and work great:

Great DG Extension Tube Set MK P AF3B for Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera | eBay
  5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    I've not used either of the specific items you mention, but I have played with various ultra wide add on lenses, so my experience may be of some use.

I've found that a simple stepping ring works fine for changing between filter sizes enabling a add on intended for 52mm to be used on 49mm etc. The extra length between the lens & the add on doesn't seem to be an issue. I've even been able to install an infra red filter between an add on and a wide angle lens to give a fish-eye look IR, with no addition al problems.

I've found that the quality of the add on lenses varies considerably, and some effect the edges of the image considerably more than the remainder, cramming 30% of the FOV into the outer 10% of the image. Using one of these on a heavily cropped sensor will significantly affect the FOV gain.

If the lens it's mounted on has a wider FOV than the add on is designed for, you can end up with a significant bit of your photo showing the inside of the add on. Somewhat more darstic than is usually meant by the term Vignetting! Many years back I tried a Fish-eye add on designed for a 50mm on a 28mm the increase in FOV was hardly noticable on the diagonal, but I ended up with a circular image (vertical FOV drastically increased).

My one attempt at using a before the lens telephoto add on, convinced me it was of NO value at all even with a 6MP camera cropping was a much better option - If I'd passed a bin on the trip it would have gone straight in. At least all the wide angle/fish eye add ons I've tried have given something usable.

Of course if the subject is suitable, there's always the option of Panoramic stitching to increase your FOV - MS ICE is free, easy to use & works well even with hand held shots.
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I don't have any experience with this add-on lens, but if I were you I'd spend $5-10 on a 46-58mm step-up ring and give it a shot.

Other ultra-wide options for the P14 include the Sony VCL-ECU1 which gives approximately a 10.5mm FOV or the <s>Olympus WCON P01</s> Panasonic DMW-GC1 which gives roughly a 11mm FOV.

Edit: mixed up my brands previously (correction above).
  7. voltcontrol

Apr 26, 2013
    Thank for the suggestions!

If I add one of those macro tubes I narrow the FL right? That could defeat the purpose of ading an ultra wide adapter in the first place. (Please, correct me if I'm wrong. ;) )

I ordered a step down ring. Sub 3$ incl shipping through the bay. B-)
  8. voltcontrol

Apr 26, 2013
    Excellent info (rest of your post too), thnx!
  9. voltcontrol

Apr 26, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    I've read somewhere that 'my' S-K has a widening factor of .6. So 14 x .6 = 8.4

I'll add some test shots this evening (with the adapter just held in front of the 14mm. ;) )
  10. voltcontrol

Apr 26, 2013
    Which combinations work well in your experience and what are the UW adapters to look out for?
  11. voltcontrol

Apr 26, 2013
    2 Quick pics to give an impression of the difference in FOV of a Panasonic 14MM vs a Panasonic 14MM+Schneider-Kreuznach Nizo II ultra wide add-on lens.

And no, I didn't step back. ;)

14MM+UW add-on

12. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I use a Kenko .42 wide converter attachment

This attachment works like the Oly WCON converter, with a 37mm thread so it screws onto the front of the kit 14-42 lens. At 14mm, it basically shows only a circular fisheye image entirely within the 4/3 frame. But at about 24-25mm. it basically fills the frame and only barrel distorts a moderate amount. If it is what it says, a .42 converter, this would mean that at 25mm setting for the kit lens, it's effectively a 10.5mm lens with a slight fisheye effect. The center of the frame is pretty sharp, but the edges, and especially the corners, are quite soft. Not great, but occasionally useable for a creative effect. It won't replace a real wide angle, but for the $3 (yes, I said $3 - actually it was $2.99 to be precise) that it cost me all in from a clueless ebay seller who failed to properly describe it and ended their auction at 2 AM, I can't complain about it. If it was properly described, they tend to sell for $17-25.

BTW, when this Kenko attachment is used on the Kit lens at 25mm, for that 10.5 slight fisheye, the edges and corners of this tend to look similar to the photos above of the Schneider wide conversion lens above in terms of sharpness (or lack thereof), but with somewhat more fisheye effect field curvature. It's also about 1/4 the size of that Schneider attachment - but that's why it vignettes at FL below ~23mm on the kit lens.