1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adapting an Altix mount to M43

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by gnarlydog australia, Jul 5, 2015.

1. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I want to get a vintage Meyer-Optik Trioplan 50mm and adapt it to M43
    All the offerings available on eBay seem to be for Trioplan with an Altix mount.
    I don't seem to be able to find an Altix to M43 adapter.
    Has anybody adapted an Altix mount lens to M43?
    Or, can the Altix mount (bit) be unscrewed and a different vintage mount like a M42 be installed instead; M42 to M43 seem to be very popular adaptors.
    Thank you for your help
    Damiano

2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
  3. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    OK, so it seems that the Altix mount is a real pain even if I found on eBay somebody that makes the adapter for US$75.
    A decent Trioplan in M42 or Praktica mount is rather expensive (for a lens I just want to experiment with and not sure I like).
    I am now looking into a Helios 44-2 that despite giving a bokeh without "soap bubbles" it still has interesting swirly out of focus, but above all it can be found for a fraction of a price of the Trioplan.
    Thank you for your help

4. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    That sounds like a good plan to me. Good luck and good shooting!

5. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I have an Agfa Ambi Silette that has a unique mount. I first went the route of 3D printing an adapter for it. It really was not that difficult using online tools to 3D design and print. My first attempt failed on the mFT side. Then I discovered that the Agfa lens fit inside my m42 adapter. The registration distance is perfect, but it works well enough to get some images. You might be able to do something similar with the Trioplan.

6. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Does anybody have any luck finding a way to adapt an Altix mount Trioplan 50mm f2.9?
    I would like to by this lens, but I need to know first if it is possible to adapt to micro 4/3.

Thank you.

7. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I ended up buying a Trioplan 50mm in Exa mount.
    I see however many more Trioplans in Altix mount and usually cheaper on eBay.
    A bit of searching reveals that a M42 adapter (cheap and very common) would work quite well by just slightly filing the threads and then simply inserting the Altix into the adapter.
    A semi permanent way to secure it there would be hot glue (or similar) to then be able to remove one day, if necessary.
    Now, the tricky part is: the register for the Altix is 42.5mm while the M42 is 45.46mm (yeah, good luck on the .46, let's call it 45.5mm...)
    That is 3mm difference and maybe the Altix might not focus at infinity?
    Of course further filing/shaving could remove those 3mm and let the Altix work on the M42.
    One other way would be make an extension tube (heck, even decent PVC would work) mounted/glued onto a Micro 4/3 flange (reverse lens mount for macro?)
    I like to use epoxy (or ready-made JB Weld) for serious bonding.

If I have to buy another lens and the Altix version would be cheaper (by a good margin) I would definitely try to mount it on the M42.
    Then again I am not afraid of a bit of tinkering :)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    It sounds a bit scary :)
    I've found a cheap Altix version on sale, but I'm afraid to not be able to adapt it to work correctly because of the registration distance...
    I think I'm going to search for the Exa mount (I've never heard of that before).
    Thank's for the explanation!

9. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Thank's ED!
    Yes, I'm searching for a soap bubbles bokeh lens.
    After the swirly bokeh Helios 44-2, I'm now after a soap bubbles lens.
    I'm going to search for more info about that Fujinon and other soap bubble lenses (ideally in M42 mount).