1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adapters

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by GaryAyala, Jan 7, 2011.

1. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have a good collection of Canon EF glass. As a neophyte to m4/3, I am wondering who makes the best adapter for Canon to GF1? This would be for macro work. Would I be better off getting a m4/3 macro?

Gary

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
  3. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    For macro work, you really want manual focus, so I'd stick with the older glass. Really, almost anyone's adapter will do a good job. The one common issue with the cheap ones is that they focus past infinity.

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Most adapters I've seen are for older FD lenses. Not sure if EOS lenses can be adapted.

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Oh yeah, I also have some longer L glass, 300, 200, 70-200 ... so about what price ranges would cheap and expensive adapter be? All I have are EF lenses.

G

6. You can get EF adapters from about $20-30 including shipping. I bought my E-P1 with an EF adapter and I find the best use for it is to stack it with other slim ring-type EF adapters which is a very cheap and space efficient way to adapt manual OM, Nikon and M42 lenses on a m4/3 camera. You can also then use those same lenses on an EOS SLR. I don't use EF lenses on my E-P1. I'd rather use them on a Canon where I get aperture control, autofocus, and Image Stabilizer.

7. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    Out of interest how do you go focussing old manual lenses on a DSLR? I nowadays with autofocus they don't put split prisms/microprisms in any more?

8. Live view all the way with the magnified view to confirm focus - just like my E-P1. It just sounds a bit clunky in comparison to a m4/3 camera with the mirror slapping around inside. I find too hit-and-miss to manually focus with a viewfinder that doesn't have a split prism.

9. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    Ta - do they have a magnified live view too? (Sorry Gary :) )

10. They do from the 1000D/450D/40D onwards. This is a 500D - you can see the EF-OM adapter behind the lens.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/55915417@N08/5311740020/" title="IMG_6038 by Lucky.penguin, on Flickr">"500" height="375" alt="IMG_6038" /></a>

Yeah, sorry for the hijack. See my on-topic response above for thoughts on EF adapters.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    As to the hijacking ... No problem, not really a hijack ... I do know for Canon and manual focus lenses that one can get a Nikon mount then use a Nikon to Canon adapter, one can get a focus confirmation (ala Samyang lenses).

Gary

12. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Getting back on track, you might look into the adapters with built in iris for aperture control of the EF lenses. Like this:
    [​IMG]
    Also it allows you to use the cheaper extension tubes for macro photography.
    Just search the auction site for EOS micro 4/3 iris adapter.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Has anyone tried one of these yet?

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Cool ... didn't know they even made those ... any particular brand better than another ... or is there any to look out for?

Gary

15. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I would be weary to use these. In any lens the location of the diaphragm is critical, an add-on diaphragm is certainly not located optimally for any complex lens you might be using.

16. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yea maybe he is right, your much better off getting a regular adapter without an iris and trying to always at wide open without any semblance of control. I mean it is true that you can use this type of adapter with the iris set to wide open, and have it act like a regular adapter if you don't like the quality of the photos taken with its control, but why take the chance on finding that out? I mean you will probably waste many megabytes of digital photos and lots of minutes, maybe even up to or past an hour; I mean no way can that be worth it .. Your better off playing it safe and saving the extra eighty or so, dollars, or better yet just spend what ever you need to and buy the micro four third mount lenses that would be comparable to the EOS ones you have, or even just a couple hundred in manual lenses that have aperture control and the appropriate micro four third adapter.

And Gay, as for brand, I believe there's only one company that I know of who makes them. Also they do tell you that because it is not the best position for the iris of a lens that users found that you might not want to close it down too much because it wont get the best results, and best results for setting iris opening will vary depending on the lens.
    Just look up the adapter on the auction sites and write the maker, or seller. I never found anyone that uses it written up online anyplace but its also has not been available for very long from my understanding. It also costs about one hundred and twenty dollars US; but i feel that if you have more than a few EF mount lenses you wish to use and at least one is of very good quality, it's worth trying out.