adapters

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hlwms, Jul 12, 2013.

1. hlwms

hlwms New to Mu-43

Jan 21, 2013
    What is the difference between the MMF ! and the MMF 2?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The MMF-1 was made with a heavier magnesium alloy. The MMF-2 is made with a lighter aluminum build. The MMF-1 comes in white, the MMF-2 comes in black. And price. Price is the difference.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I believe that MMF1 is all metal, silver in color and weighs around 80g. The MMF2 has a <strike>composite (i.e. plastic)</strike> aluminum body, is black in color and weighs just over half as much. The MMF3 is weather-sealed for use with a weather-sealed body (i.e. OM-D or GH3) and weather-sealed Four Thirds lenses.

There is also a Panasonic adapter DMW-MA1 which I believe is a near-clone of the MMF1.

Personally I would choose either the MMF3 (if I intended to use it with a weather-sealed body and lenses) or a less expensive third-party adapter like this one.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The MMF-3 is awesome. Really solid, snug fit with all my lenses. Whether you use the weather sealing or not, it just feels damn nice. It uses the lighter aluminum of the MMF-2 rather than the heavier magnesium alloy of the MMF-1 and Panasonic DMW-MA1 (none of them are plastic, by the way... just different types of metal), but it actually feels more solid because of the fit. With the fabulous lineup of High Grade and Top-Pro weather sealed glass in the Zuiko Digital collection, it's a shame not to have the future option of weather sealing your system with that fine glass, even if you're currently using a non-sealed body.

PS, the difference in metal is also the same as what you see between an E-Px Pen or OM-D, versus a Pen Mini or Pen Lite. The Mini and Lite use aluminum all around the body with the mag alloy just on the top and bottom ends, while the Pen and OM-D are magnesium alloy build all the way around. Same metal that makes up that heavy-duty tank of a frame you see in the pro-grade E-1, E-3, and E-5 DSLRs.

5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'll defer to Ned on the question of material. I haven't actually handled an MMF2.

I also concur with Ned that the MMF3 is the best way to go...that's what I've got despite the fact that I don't own a weather-sealed body.

6. hlwms

hlwms New to Mu-43

Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks to all I believe I will use the Rainbow Imaging.

7. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    You might also consider this used MMF1.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Mu-43 mobile app