1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Adapters

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jim_khoo, Jun 9, 2011.

1. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    hi,
    i noticed that adaptors are priced from around 20 to few hundred bucks.
    so, what makes the difference in prices; built quality or brand name or
    both? can the 20-30 bucks ones mount and focus properly? what are your
    worst experience with those adaptors?

thanks,
    jimmy

2. Lauzers

Lauzers Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2011
    i'm the biggest sucker for adapted lens, i've got MD mount, PK mount, M42, Nikon mount, C-mount and FD mounts....

refer to penguins guide: https://www.mu-43.com/f40/how-guide-using-adapted-lenses-12347/

all of these mounts i've went the cheap ebay route (photography to me at this stage is a part time hobby), I've had some hit and miss, however mostly i've found they do the job well, and that is all to it.

Build quality is generally poor, made with cheap anodised aluminium with some surface imperection. My worse experience is the MD mount where the tolerance mounting from my Rokkor to adaptor was a very very tight fit. Some DIY job involve unscrewing the assembly and using mid to high grit sand paper to take several microns thick off from aluminium until it fits. long story shot, i got a refund from ebay seller because i was unhappy.

if buying from ebay, just a note, there are plenty of resellers of the same brand, but different price. I've received products of Pixco from non Pixco seller. But one tip i can give is look out for adapters that comes with m4/3 caps. Nothing worse than having all these adapters but no caps to go with it.

Once you received your ebay ($20-$30) adapter, do serveral visual inspection. trial fit your lens, and trial fit it to the camera. IF you feel it requires too much force to engage, stop and analyse where it is causing the resistance. Use your native lens as the benchmark as now much force or 'feel' you should need to engage both the lens and adapter. Nothing worse than having a $20 item damaging your $500 camera.

My advice would be, give it a shot, be prepared, try a wide range of legacy lens, and once you have found the manufacturer you like, e.g. Minoltas, cannon FDs, etc... then properly invest in the higer quality adapter.

So far my camera is still working, still taking some great pictures, and I'm having fun.

Hope this helps....

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lauzers makes a very good point. There are $20 adapters, and there are $100+ adapters. There are also $50 adapters, which are mostly $20 adapters just with a bigger mark-up.

4. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    Do you guys have a favorite seller/ brands that you might want to recommend?