Adapters with tripod mounts

Paul C

Mu-43 Regular
Using legacy telephoto lenses can make for a great compositional perspective in micro 4/3 landscape work, portrait and even for slow moving wildlife (I use a close focus 135mm with flash for flowers and insects) - but.....
  • The costs of new135-300mm native M4/3 mount lenses are high
    • those in the "affordable range' still have small apertures
  • Legacy lenses can be good and much more cost-effective
    • but all are heavy and can strain the camera mounts
    • and Very few legacy lenses in the 135-300mm range have tripod mounts attached
    • and the range of "generic" tripoc "collar" rings are too limited to be much use - even with many of the home-made fixes that have been shown to shrink diameters to fit
A legacy lens adapter with a tripod mount seems a great solution. I have tried one such adapter - but the mechanics were poor and there was a lot of flex.

Today I saw the advert for a new design that might be better --- being far more substantial than alternatives I have tried before:
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 12.50.24.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This one was described on a web seller site as an "Venes B4-M4/3, Lens Adapter Suit For B4 2/3" For Canon For Fujinon ENG Lens to M4/3 Camera"

Which made me think - are there really now much better adapters out there with tripod mounts?

I have nothing to do with the makers of example I have posted - but with the collective experience and wisdom of the MU43 community - can I ask if you have found a version that does work well enough to be of real use? ....I still have that wonderful old 200mm F2.8 700 gram lens just waiting to be adapted !

Best wishes to you all - Paul C in the UK

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
My Fotodiox Pro EOS-MFT adapter works great. When you remove the QR foot, there's still a 1/4-20 thread available on the low-profile stub, which I suppose is pretty versatile (although I haven't actually made use of it yet).

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
This is the "leg" with the foot removed on the adapter described above.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Any lens that's heavy enough to strain the camera mount should be supported directly. All my big lenses have this option.
If I was to try using the tripod mount on that adapter with something like my 300mm/4 it might pull out of the adapter (I suspect all my adapters have weaker mounts than any camera I've used.)
The design of that tripod mount strikes me as something that could work loose.
To date I've only got one adapter with a tripod mount, built into a tilting adapter that's use makes it likely to need a tripod more often than most other shots. The Tripod foot on that adapter seems quite adequate (but the tilting mechanism is AWFUL).

Why is it that these tripod feet aren't made to fit the common Arca Swiss clamps? So many of mine almost do, In one case actually having a suitable chamfer just being made ~1mm too wide for any of the many clamps I have.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom