Adapters for m4/3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by lukyvictor, Sep 25, 2012.

1. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    What adpaters are available for m4/3 please? I know some from the official website of panasonic and olympus.

I am currently using a G2, and would like to buy some old SLR lens to use.

Are those non-official cheap one found in ebay good to use please?
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I've compiled a list of M4/3 Lens Adapters that illustrates the vast array of mounts that can be used with :43: bodies. I won't claim that this list is definitive, but it definitely shows the breadth of options you have in using legacy lenses with this system.

My personal strategy with adapters is to choose the cheapest one I can find from a seller with whom I feel comfortable. These are generally in the sub-$20 range. You can spend a LOT more (upwards of $300) for adapters from Novoflex and the like. I have no doubt that these pricier adapters are built to higher tolerances and quality standards than the eBay specials, but for my purposes that extra quality is not worth the cost. I figure that if I happen to get a "bad" adapter (which breaks or doesn't allow infinity focus, for example) then I can just try another brand and hope for better luck and still be out a lot less $ than I would with the Novoflex. Bear in mind that I am playing with mostly thrift store lenses as well -- if I had some high-end lenses, I would probably be more willing to pay for a high-quality adapter.
  3. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I don't have any personal experience with the eBay adapters, but from the threads I've read they are a bit of a mix of fair to poor quality products.

I do have three Fotodiox (their cheaper series) and one Rainbow Imaging brand adapters purchased from Amazon for less than $25 each. All four are good. The flange distances are only a reasonable bit too shallow (lenses focus a little past infinity which is a good thing) and the mount flanges are well made.

I did have to tighten the M-mount flange on a Fotodiox adapter (10 seconds with a small blade slid into the slot cut to act as a spring) and the deep K-mount and M42 thread mount adapters (again Fotodiox) needed some black felt added to reduce internal reflections (not an issue with the thin Leica M-mount and thread mount adapters).

Both of my thread mount adapters (M42 from Fotodiox & LTM from Rainbow Imaging) were properly aligned so that the top of the lens is at the top when mounted, something that many eBay cheapies seem to fail at though readjusting them is trivial if you have the proper small screwdriver. Actually, I altered the M42 adapter to place top at about the 2 o'clock position as this locates the A/M switch on my Auto-Takumar 55mm f/1.8 to a more convienient location (see pic).

Attached Files:

4. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    Currently using a fotodiox OM adapter and it seems to live up to others recommendations. Fits fine, feels quite sturdy (not bombproof but very solid) and engages cleanly without wobbles/being sticky. Very happy with it...currently waiting on a cheapo ebay-special M42 adapter to have something to compare it against.
  5. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    Thank you very much for everyone's reply. I now feel confident to buy those cheap adapter on ebay or amazon to give it a try on my m4/3 camera, it opens me the world of using the old legend lens!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Just get one and try it out. I shoot legacy glass 50% of the time with my G2, I love it.
  7. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Personally I prefer to get all my adapters from fotodiox since they're usually cheap enough, but I also know that they're well built. The only ones I might get elsewhere would be something they don't make (such as a tilt adapter).

The 3 adapters I currently use are a Pentax-K, Adaptall, and Leica Thread Mount (M39). I want to get the new version of the Pentax-K they made which has a twist ring to open and close the aperture (which would make it easier to pre-set to 8, focus at 1.4 then just twist down for the shot).

I actually purchased my Olympus Pen E-P3 for the sole purpose of using most of the manual focus lenses I still use, while having the 17/2.8 lens it came with as kind of the general purpose lens. Prior I used the Pentax K10D (which I still have) for the same purpose of using some adaptall lens I had (I sold my 180mm/2.5 tamron which I wish I kept), and then a few older MF pentax lens, all of which are still usable on my olympus :D
  8. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    Thanks again for you guys' replies.

I did a search in amazon, I can find the fotodiox in there, but not in ebay for some reason. However in ebay, I can even find some adapters which are less than £10... are they 'usable'?? or just a piece of rubbish plastic + metal?
  9. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Depends on your degree of usable. Some of the extremely cheap ones are simply machined from a design and every so often (or even all of them) might not actually be measured for accurate infinity focus distance or might have a loose fitting with lens (highly annoying). Which is one of the reasons I do not mind paying a little bit extra to fotodiox which is decent priced as it is to ensure that 1) the lens will at least be able to focus to infinity, and 2) the connection between both camera and lens are snug and not loose/rattling.

Also the ones from Fotodiox has a 24 months warranty, you're not going to get that with the ultra cheap (but least it'd be cheap enough to just replace it I guess).
  10. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    Thanks for your comment, because I know very little about these stuffs, so I think is good to collect as much information from people as possible!!
  11. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I have bought fotodiox and rainbow imaging adapter off ebay when they were about the same price as the competition. Now that they have their own websites and sell off amazon for more, I prefer the cheap sellers on ebay. They're all made in the same Chinese factories anyway.

If an ebay vendor has good feedback and also sells other camera accesories, he probably is smart enough to pick factories that give him the least returns and headaches. That's my hope anyway.

Those £10 ($10 here in the USA) prices amaze me. People must be copying adapters and trying to go cheaper. I suppose some are good and some are bad. If I needed one, I'd gamble (what's $10 shipped) on a low price, provided it's an established seller.

Last one I bought was an M42 from Big-IS. It was $12 and works fine. It's just kind of ugly (white notches on barrel).
  12. Touche

Touche Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 22, 2012
    I have loads of adapters. Generally the cheap ones do fine. I even have cheap contax g adapters from kiwifotos bought from a Chinese Ebay seller which works nicely considering it is one of the most complex adapters out there. Having said that i have a rollei mount adapter which is loose and a bit shoddy round the edge

My voigtlander leica m mount adapter is perfect as you'd expect. My Russian made leica ltm adapter is also perfect. My ciecio7 canon fd adapter with tripod mount is really useful for mounting old long heavy fd lenses and is nicely machined.

Overall I've been very happy with all my adapters other than that one rollei mount adapter. Even the cheapo ones seem to be plenty good enough for the most part. :)
  13. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    Thank you very much for you guys' replies. Will get a cheap one to start with!
  14. maj13

maj13 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2012