1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Adapters for G5 for use of 43 and OM lenses?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dukiebluedoc, May 19, 2013.

1. dukiebluedoc

dukiebluedoc New to Mu-43

May 4, 2013
    Just purchased a G5 2 lens kit,interested in adapters
    a)to try a few of my 43 Oly lenses on the G5
    b)to try a few of my OM lenses for MF
    I am inclined to buy the Panny adapter for the 43 lenses,but wonder if anyone has ideas about the better eBay sellers for adapters for the OM lenses.
    TIA
    I find this forum very useful and look forward to sharing some of my pics here.

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Please note that the Olympus MMF-1, MMF-2 Four Thirds adapters are fully compatible and equivalent in all respects and functionality to the Panasonic DMW - MA1 adapter and can often be bought at lower prices on ebay
    Do not buy the genuine Olympus MF-1 adapter for your OM lenses. These are very expensive and having no moving parts or electrical connections there is no need for a genuine Olympus item
    The non genuine adapters are about £10.00 - £15.00 on ebay in the UK and can be easily sourced from many highly rated sellers
    Regards
    Rob

3. dukiebluedoc

dukiebluedoc New to Mu-43

May 4, 2013
    thanks for reply
    I use FotoDiox adapters to fit the OM lenses to my 43 cameras now so will look for those micro4/3 on eBay so I can use some of the old lenses on my G5.
    Caroline

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Panny adapter is good. It uses the old heavier-duty magnesium-alloy that the Olympus MMF-1 uses (but I think the grey of the Panny works better with the standard black lenses than the white Oly MMF-1). Of course the MMF-3 is the best one to get right now though as it is weather sealed as most or all of your 4/3 lenses should be. Even though it uses the lighter aluminum, it fits super nice and snug! It actually feels more solid than the older, heavier adapters. However, you can currently get a lot cheaper than all of these OEM options with the new Fotodiox 4/3-m4/3 adapter which has full electric connectivity and also has a little tripod mount for heavier lenses (should be nice considering how small and light our m4/3 bodies can be!). It is only $55 + S&H: http://www.rainbowimaging.biz/shop/product.php?id_product=589

If you already have OM to 4/3 adapters you don't need any more! Just get your 4/3 to m4/3 adapter, and your OM lenses which already have an adapter to 4/3 will work with the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter. That also allows you to use 4/3 accessories such as the fabulous EC-14 and EC-20 teleconverters on your OM glass!

4/3 is the shortest of SLR lens mounts so it can be used as a universal mount for any non-rangefinder, non-cinema, and non-Pen legacy lenses. I like this to allow me to use my Zuiko teleconverter on all of these lenses, making the over $500 investment pretty much negligible as well as allowing use on 4/3 bodies. :) The only SLR lenses I prefer to mount directly to m4/3 are Konica AR and Minolta MC/MD, because those lenses although longer register than 4/3 are slim enough to be a bit of a hassle. Konica AR lenses have to have the auto tab removed to mount on 4/3, and Minolta MC/MD adapters use a hex key instead of a bayonet (fine for one lens, but a hassle for more than one). So those two mounts work better going straight to m4/3.