1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Adapter to line up Wollensak Cine Raptar 25mm 1.9?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by the.growler, Aug 13, 2011.

1. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

I recently purchased a Wollensak Cine Raptar 25mm 1.9 (wonderful lens, BTW). If you own or owned this lens, do you have a recommendation for an adapter that results in the aperture and focus mark pointing straight up? I've already tried a Hawk Peng, a Rainbow Imaging and a couple of no-name Chinese adapters.

The base of the lens and the C-mount screw are cast in one piece, so no adjustments there are possible.

Thanks in advance!

2. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    Ordinarily, the lens should be adjusted for precise focus marks and infinity stop before positioning the mount for upright marks (by loosening the three small screws in the knurled surface of the base).

The position of the marks will vary from one Wollensak Cine Raptar to another depending on what camera it originated from and whether or not it was at one time adjusted for a different camera. My 1" Cine Raptar f/1.9 from an old Bell&Howell 70 mounts with upright marks on a thin Chinese adapter from eBay seller 'gadgetworldexports' (C Mount Movie Lens to Micro M4/3 M43 Mount Adapter SLIM | eBay).

As a cross-reference, my 1" Cine Raptar mounts on my Hawk Peng C5 type adapter (C5 type TV Bolex C mount to M4/3 M43 Micro 4/3 G1 GH1 | eBay) a few degrees past 9 o'clock (as oriented from operator's perspective behind camera). So, if you're Cine Raptar mounts similarly on your Hawk Peng (and if it's a C5 type that you have) then it should mount with upright marks on the Gadgetworldexports thin Chinese adapter I linked to above.

However, as I mentioned the azimuth adjustment is ordinarily made after collimation of the lens for accurate focus marks. Most c-mount to m4/3 adapters permit the lens to mount slightly too close to the sensor in order to guarantee ability to focus to infinity, but this also allows many lenses to focus past infinity (which means all of your focus marks will be off). This is especially true for the thin Chinese adapters. So although the lens may mount with upright marks, the focus marks will be incorrect.

So, to do it correctly you should first collimate the lens for accurate focus on your Hawk adapter, and then adjust for upright marks via the three screws in the lens base.

3. the.growler

ekoe:

Thank you for your detailed answer. I will try ordering the gadgetworldexports slim adapter.

My copy of the lens does not have any screws on the lens base or on the knurled ring around the base (see photo) - so I guess I'll just just have to keep trying different adapters until I get one that is close. Hopefully, the gadgetworldexports adapter will do the trick!

Attached Files:

4. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    That's strange. It should have three screws like the one pictured here: Google Images

I just did a quick google image search, and I see there are several without the base adjustment screws. Do you know what camera your Cine Raptar originated on? Maybe Wollensak didn't include the base adjustment on lenses manufatured for thier own 16mm cameras. Just a guess.

Where are your lens marks when you mount it on your Hawk adapter, and do you have the C5 type? Also, does the lens focus accurately on the Hawk adapter?

5. the.growler

ekoe:

My lens (Serial #698948) differs from the pictured lens in a couple of ways:

1) No adjusting screws in the base or knurled rim of the base.

2) The lens info engraved into the front of the barrel omits the "(25mm)".

3) The direction of rotation of the aperture ring is reversed - f/1.9 is the furthest mark to the left (viewed from the top of the lens).

I don't know the camera this lens was originally matched with.

My Hawk Peng adapter is a C5 and the focus/aperture mark is at the 8 o'clock position when viewed from the front of the lens.

There's always something new to learn with these old lenses!

6. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    Very true. There are so many c-mount lenses, and even differences among samples of the same make and model of lens.

My Cine Raptar has the same aperture direction as yours, and uses the 1inch designation instead of 25mm. It's serial no. is 8117XX from a Bell&Howell 70AA circa mid-late 1930s.

Your Cine Raptar is mounting on the Hawk C5 adapter diametrically opposite where mine is mounting (@ just a few degrees shy of 3 o'clock as seen from the front of the lens), which means your lens will mount with the marks facing downward on the Gadgetworldexport slim Chinese adapter.

You could try the MS Optical adapter, which allows you to reposition the female c-mount thread ring on the adapter: japan exposures | films and more (formerly Megaperls Japan Webshop)

I know it's not cheap, but it's the only one that allows you to make that adjustment.

7. the.growler

ekoe:

After trying all of my adapters, I finally found that the cheapest of my no-name Chinese adapters would get me to the 2 o'clock position, with focusing past infinity. Shimming got the marks to the 11 o'clock position (still with some focusing past infinity, but I can live with it), at which point I'm declaring victory! :biggrin:

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

8. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    That's great.

As a long shot, I was going to recommend that you try to simply press and turn the c-mount thread. Some Angenieuxs and Taylor Hobson's can be adjusted that way.

9. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    I just noticed the outermost threaded ring on the lens base of your Cine Raptar. Mine does not have that same threaded ring, it has just the two inner rings for adjustment of the rear element. That outermost ring may be what is holding the c-mount thread in place.