Adapter size question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by manju69, Sep 4, 2011.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Hi. This may be an obvious question, but are most adapters a similar depth? I have an OM to m43 and it's about 25mm, and using it with a 50mm f1.8 makes a quite big lens all in all. I was wondering if different adapters for different fittings may be smaller? I am wanting to preserve as much as possible the compactness of the system. Thanks!
  2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Yes, similar based on original camera type: slr, C-mount, RF, etc. For slrs the real biggest difference is the mount.

At least this has been my experience....
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Adapter's depth is a function of the lens flange distance for which it was originally designed. So the adapters are the same for any single mount type but may be different between different mount types.

If size is a concern, you can try to adapt lenses that have short flange distances such as those originally designed for a rangefinder... contax, m39, m mount etc.
  4. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    I think c-mount is the most compact option you'll find. With a flange focal distance of 17.526mm compared to slightly under 20mm FFD for 4/3, it mounts a couple millimeters within the 4/3 lens mount port. Other lenses designed for camera systems that included a mirror shutter must mount quite a distance removed from the 4/3 lens mount port. In addition, c-mount lenses tend to be very compact to begin.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The smaller size of the OM Zuiko lenses is negated when the adapter is included, due to the large flange distance of the OM line of cameras. The example shown below of the Zuiko and Canon FD 50mm f1.4 lenses applies to all equivalent Zuiko and Canon lenses that I have: with the adapter included the length of the lenses is virtually identical.

6. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    The exposed adapter depth should be the difference in flange focal distance (register) from one mount to another. See here or here for a chart of the more common ffds.
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    All SLR lenses are significantly longer with the adapter for Micro Four-Thirds. I adapt all my SLR lenses to Four-Thirds instead (which has the shortest flange distance of SLR mounts and therefore can be adapted to all of them) so the adapter to Four-Thirds (ie, OM to Four-Thirds) is really small but the Four-Thirds to Micro Four-Thirds mount is large.

If you want a really compact adapted lens, then look for those from other mirrorless or compact mirror systems like Rangefinders, Cine Lenses, and Pen FT mount. That would include C-Mount (for cine lenses), Pen FT, Contax/Yashica, M39 Leica Thread Mount, Konica AR, Leica M, etc.
  8. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Thanks Ned and everyone, that is very helpful, off to search eBay and local second hand markets/shops.
  9. JohnMoeleker

JohnMoeleker New to Mu-43

Aug 25, 2011
    Have 2 adapters
    One, 2,5 cm, nikon lens on mft
    One, 1 cm, leica m lens on mft