1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adapter ring M42 - M4/3 doesn work (OMD eM10)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by j.a.r.o., Apr 10, 2015.

1. j.a.r.o.

j.a.r.o. New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2015
    I bought adapter for my new Oly OMD EM10 camera. When I mount adapter on my camera, so I see nothing (onkly black screen) in a camera viewfinder (or display) and also I can´t take a picture (camera trigger doesn´t work). When I unmount the adapter, my camera works normally. Any advice? Thank!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    In that second photo, you can see a little hole/indentation on the bottom of the lens adapter. There is a small metal peg on the camera mount that must fit into this indentation. The lens adapter first pushes down the metal peg, and then as you rotate the adapter into place the peg will snap into the indentation. If it does not, the metal peg will be held down and the camera won't operate.

3. j.a.r.o.

j.a.r.o. New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2015
    Thank you very much, Mark! So Iĺl must carefuly make a bigger hole.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  4. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    On Olympus cameras do they need a use without lens setting enabled like Panasonic Cameras do before they will work with these adapters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Yes, they do.

6. j.a.r.o.

j.a.r.o. New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2015
    I didn´t see in my camera menu an item which enable work with adapters.
    Could you give me an advice where can I find info how I can enable work with adapters, please? Thanks!

7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    No they don't. At least my E-M10 does not, but you know...sample variations :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

1. adapted lenses work without changing any settings.
    ideally, if you have IBIS, you should change it to match the focal length of the lens, but this will not stop you from seeing an image

2. it does seem like your adapter isn't locking into place on the camera, as mentioned above

3. the FotoDiox, Fotasy, and RainbowImaging adapters have reasonably good reputations, and most of them allow you to remove the inner ring which is helpful for 'Auto' m42 Pentax lenses.
    http://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-AM42-Copper-Lenses-Adapter/dp/B002U4PGPI
    http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Olympus-Panasonic-Cameras/dp/B002RJKVY2

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    You shouldn't have to do that. It will make the adapter wobble if you do a poor job. First try wiggling the adapter and see if the alignment pin on the camera snaps into the hole. It really should. If not, maybe get another.

I see you have a one piece M42 adapter. My first one was like that. The hole for the pin was actually too big and the adapter did wobble. Bad design, in my opinion.

Olympus cameras do not have a "shoot with manual lens" setting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. pinoyborian

pinoyborian Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2012
    Peterborough UK
    Jerry Sisican
    Have you checked out this stcky on adapted lens - https://www.mu-43.com/index.php?threads/12347/? It's very helpful.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Olympus cameras don't have that setting, and they don't need it!!! (Never understood why Panasonic cameras are inferior to require that setting..."Operate camera without a lens"???? I'm using a lens, just not a smart lens...of course I'm using a lens!)

The manufacturer of the adapter just has to know what they are doing! The hole for the pin on this adapter is not drilled DEEP ENOUGH, as seen on the photos posted above...the lens mount is designed so that if the lens pin isn't fully released the camera knows the lens isn't fully locked into place so the camera will not work. For instance my C-mount adapter is drilled all the way through so the pin is FULLY extended:
    41RBYpqBVmL._SY355_.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Yes the Panasonic way is a bit odd as leaving it on affects nothing when using a propper m4/3 lens, I have it left on all the time with all my cameras.

Saves having to remember switching on when I use the odd adapted lens.

And being in the early stages of dementia it's good to have one thing less to remember.

Look after your mind, you will miss it when it's gone.

Paul

13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    My guess is so that new users don't damage the shutter if they're fiddling with the camera without a lens attached. Does seem unnecessary, though, you're right.

14. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I've met the 'shoot without lens' setting on other makes of cameras too. Even with it selected I've had the camera refuse to fire when a lens was nearly mounted, so I can't see ant advantage to leaving it in the default off position.

15. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    That doesn't make sense, because the user is taking the same steps attaching a smart lens or a mechanical lens.

Like I said, I'm operating the camera with a lens, just not a smart lens.