1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adapter question.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Exposed, May 25, 2012.

1. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    So I have been reading on adapters for my epl-2 and want to make sure I get the correct one. I want to be able to have the option of AF and manual focus so I am thinking the Olympus MMF-2. I want to use Olympus 4/3rds lenses, for starters the 11-22 2.8-3.5. From what I read, it can AF but not sure about exposure and such.

Any help would be great.

Thank you,

Randy

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, the MMF-2 will give you all the same capabilities with Four-Thirds lenses as a native lens, except with no C-AF (you still have S-AF). The AF on the 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5 will be slower though, as that lens was made to work with PDAF focus systems. The Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II (Mark II version, not the original) on the other hand, is optimized for CDAF and will focus a little faster on your E-PL2.

3. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Thank you for the info Ned, you have confirmed what I was thinking. What about the new Olympus MMF-3? Looks to me like the same thing as the MMF-2, only weather sealed, correct?

Again, thank you!!!

Randy

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Correct. :) Even though your E-PL2 is not weather sealed, the MSRP is not far off on the two adapters so I would buy the MMF-3 for a future investment and to give a little extra protection for now. All High Grade or Super High Grade Zuiko lenses are weather sealed, and you seem to be looking within the High Grade category. You will eventually want to be able to put these lenses onto a weather sealed body and have a fully sealed kit... and it looks like there's going to be more sealed bodies coming out from both Olympus and Panasonic to fill everyone's needs (Panasonic isn't about to weather-seal their own lens just for Olympus bodies).

Even without a weather sealed body, the sealed lens can still be used with a rain sleeve along with your E-PL2, and because of the sealing in your lens system you will be able to back the sleeve off of the lens for full manual operation even in the rain.