1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

adapter for Leica screw mount to EPL5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by stan2, Oct 10, 2013.

1. stan2

stan2 New to Mu-43

Oct 9, 2013
    new here.. hi everyone, etc.. I have an EPL5 and got my hands on an M39 screw mount Leica 35mm f3.5 Summaron. I've already made one mistake ordering an adapter to work with this combo, so I'm trying to avert another.

Backing up - my son has an old Leica kit with several lenses. They're all screw mount, from 1948-1960. He and the glass have been overseas for several years, but recently back to the US. I would naturally like to try the lenses on my Oly. A month or so ago I picked up a Pentax 50mm 1.7 legacy school lens at a rummage sale for a couple bucks figuring I could get an adapter, which I did. The old high school photo class lens works perfectly, no scratches, etc. I bought a fotodiox adapter, and it's all good. There were maybe 20 old Pentax 35mm film cameras on the sale table, most with lenses. Only one had the f1.7 on it tho, so I picked that one, just for the f of it.

I ordered a Fotodiox adapter for the Leicas too, but didn't get the right one. (not screw mount). So I'm now trying again for an adapter Leica screw mount M39 to MFT. I'm zeroing in on a RainbowImaging adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImaging-Adapter-Olympus-Panasonic-DMC-GF1/dp/B002U4WQHE/ref=sr_1_7?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1381432390&sr=1-7&keywords=m39+adapter

does that look like the right one to try for $12? Fotodiox also makes one but I thought I'd give Rainbow a try for comparison with my Fotodiox to Pentax, which seems to work fine. Plus, I like the results with the Pentax. Only difficulty for me is the manual focussing using the Oly view screen, especially in low light, wide open with narrow DoF where a little 'off' makes all the difference. But its definitely enough fun that I want to do it with some Leica too.

thx for any advice on the adapter.

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Yes, that's the right adapter. LTM (Leica Thread Mount) or M39.

I've used adapters from both Rainbow Imaging and Fotodiox with no problems.

Fred

3. stan2

stan2 New to Mu-43

Oct 9, 2013
    thanks!

ordered and anxious here now.

4. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

@stan2: I've got a half-dozen of those Rainbow Imaging adapters and they've all worked fine. I think you can breathe. :smile:

5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Yep, that one will work.

In fact, it's the one I have. I also have Fotodiox brand adapters for Leica M (bayonet), Pentax K, and Pentax M42 thread.

The designations used for the old Leica Thread Mount vary. The proper designation should be LTM. Technically, M39 is something different and a few somewhat rare old cameras used it. M39 is pure metric, 39mm diameter and 1mm pitch. LTM is a mix of standards. It is 39mm diameter but used an inch based threat pitch of 26tpi instead of the 1mm pitch (=25.4tpi). Leica was an optical instrument (microscope, ...) manufacturer when they started their camera sideline. They were used to the inch-based standard threading used in microscopes and didn't retool their threading ability when they introduced their first interchangeable lens model. It's interesting that Rainbow Imaging used "L39" on their adapter while Amazon uses "M39" in their text along with "LTM".

6. Jimbo3rd

Jimbo3rd Photog GoGo

Mar 10, 2011
    Central Florida/Disney area
    Jim Sullivan
    I have a Nikon AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm 1:2.8 G ED lens and was thinking of using it on my OMD. Anyone out there have done this and if so what adapter would be recommended and what kind of results did you have? Thanks for any help and recommendations you can offer.

7. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    It's the one I have. Works well.

I need to find a nice inexpensive LTM 35mm lens for both m4/3 & film use but that's another story :)

8. Jimbo3rd

Jimbo3rd Photog GoGo

Mar 10, 2011
    Central Florida/Disney area
    Jim Sullivan
    What adapter do you use? Can you expand on "Works well".
    Thanks

9. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Sorry, Fotodiox & not really - they just work. I buy one per lens, put it on an leave it on. It holds it at the right distance and I do the rest.

P5160612.
    Industar-61L/D 50/2.8 at ISO 200 f8/125th IIRC.