1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adapter for Kiron 105mm f2.8 Macro Lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by verbatimium, Jul 17, 2013.

1. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    I decided to explore macro photography so ended up buying a Kiron 105mm f2.8 macro lens after reading some amazing reviews about it. The description of the mount for this lens is "Adaptall 2 mount - Minolta MD". Below are the images for the mount of the lens. What type of adapter do I need to be able to use this on m43 system and are there any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Has anyone use this lens before. If so, did I make a good choice/do you like it?

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    The mount is actually Minolta SR mount but the Fotodiox, Rainbow, m4/3 to MD/MC mount works. As for the lens, it's supposed to be one of the best ever made.

3. juangrande

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
  4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I have the lens (different re-brand), as do several others on this forum. I simply can't recommend it enough. Although its a bit heavy, its has a fantastic build. The finish exudes quality, the focus ring has a long throw and is very precise....as for the optics, you'd be hard pressed to find a sharper legacy lens. You're going to love it.

5. verbatimium

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Great to hear! Now the hard part, waiting for it to arrive at my door.

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    As others have already said, that lens is rather legendary, and is one of the most highly sought-after legacy macro lenses. The optical quality and the build quality are sensational. You pretty much cannot find a better legacy manual focus macro lens. There are a handful of others that might be just about as good, but none are much better than that one.

7. verbatimium

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Another question. Do people use a tripod collar for this lens? I have never used anything so big/heavy on my camera and was wondering whether one is usually required.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    What lots of folks use with a lens like this is a focusing rail, which allows you to mount the entire camera and lens assembly on a rack-and pinion that can be moved further away from or closer to the subject matter without altering the magnification (which would change if the focus setting is changed). You can get a basic one for $20 or so, or a seriously well built rugged precisely manufactured one for hundreds of dollars.

Here's an idea what a basic one looks like:

Adorama Single Focusing Rail Fine Control for Macro Photography MCFRSS | eBay

9. juangrande

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I once had a tokina 90mm 2.5, which is similar in size and quality, which definitely needed a tripod, at a minimum, to shoot macro. The rails would be better. If you do the tripod route, get an adapter with a tripod mount attached.

10. jime

jime Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Jonestown Texas
    I use mine on my EM5 and can hand hold up to 1:1.5 macro but need a tripod for 1:1 even with my 5 axis ibis. And, I love this lens and the macro quality it produces.

11. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I don't think they made a collar for this lens. Its not going to damage your mount if thats what you are worried about. If you are more worried about the sagging you get when aiming the lens on a tripod mounted body...I could tell you that its not big of a deal with this lens. I mostly shoot handheld macros, but when I tripod mount I could still aim it rather accurately without much sagging. I don't have a particularly good ballhead either. Wait until you get the lens and try it out....if you find aiming to be a problem, a better ballhead or a macro rail as Doug suggested will help. but if you are going to get a rail, get one of the 2-dimentional ones that move back and forth and left and right

12. verbatimium

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Perfect. Thanks for all the info about this lens.

13. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    +1 to Sam's comments - I've used this lens without a tripod collar on my E-P3 and basic tripod (Sirui T-005) to great effect.

But depending on what you're shooting, a tripod can be pretty restrictive for macro photography since you need to move around a lot chasing bugs, better angles on the subject, etc. If you can get your flash up close to the subject with a diffuser, it's pretty easy to handhold shots at lower shutters speed because the *flash* duration effectively freezes the motion of the camera. I sometimes put my flash on the tripod and keep the camera in my hands. Or use a flash bracket and some sort of (DIY) flash extender, there are all sorts of instructions if you google around.

When you've got the adapter, post some sample shots over in the Kiron 105mm f/2.8 Macro image thread!