1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adapter for GH2 with Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Nudie07, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Nudie07

Nudie07 New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2013
    Hey everybody,

I own a Panasonic Lumix GH2 and I am interested in the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 lens. Amazon offers it in many different styles:

Amazon.com: Rokinon 85M-N 85mm F1.4 Aspherical Lens for Nikon (Black): ROKINON: Electronics

My first question is would it be best to get the Olympus style?

Second question is if so, what 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter would do the trick? Seeing as how it is a prime lens with manual focus would an expensive adapter be necessary or would one for around $50 work?

Here are some adapters that have came up:

Amazon.com: Panasonic DMW-MA1 Lumix G Four Thirds DSLR Lens Mount Adapter: Electronics

Amazon.com: Olympus 260964 MMF-2 MFT Lens Adapter: Electronics

Amazon.com: Olympus OM Lens to Micro 4/3 Four Thirds System Camera Mount Adapter, Olympus PEN E-P1, Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1, GH1, G1: Electronics

Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. fluberman

fluberman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    Indonesia
    Alex
    It depends how you define "the best"... It will be obviously more convenient to pick the Olympus 4/3 mount.

I have one with Nikon mount. It has more re-selling value than the Olympus mount, so for me it is the best. But then you will need a Nikon adapter.

Assuming you have the four-thirds version, either two adapters can be used.

This one is for the legacy Olympus OM mount, so it will not work. The Rokinon 85mm is a manual lens, and there is no electrical contacts between the lens and the camera. So it will be more cost-effective if you use a cheaper 4/3 to m4/3 adapter, such as:
    Olympus 4 3 to Micro 4 3 M4 3 Adapter GH3 GF3 GF2 G2 G3 G1 E P2 E P3 E PL3 E PM1 | eBay

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you do not have the Samyang aka Rokinon 85mm yet get either the Canon or the Nikon mount and then the appropriate adaptor. Either of these mounts will have the best resale value should you decide to sell. The Samyang lenses are very good although a bit large and heavy. Their 85mm is the best you can get for the price!

I also shoot Nikon so for me they serve duel use, triple if I ever get a Nikon 1, which I am considering.

Are you using the 85mm for photo or video? They now have cine versions of their lenses with stepless aperture, marked in t-stops and follow focus gearing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I bought the Canon version since I have many Canon lenses - that way I only need to buy one adapter. Do you have a collection of lenses for another system already? If not, as speedandstyle said, I'd get the Canon/Nikon for better resale value.

So far I've bought several cheap micro 4/3 mount adapters from ebay, and they've all worked perfectly well.

5. Chipal

Chipal New to Mu-43

Jan 19, 2013
    I bought the Panasonic Adapter to use specifically for the Rokinon 85. Works very well. It's a nice heavy-duty unit and that lens is a hefty one. Not sure a cheap adapter would handle it as well. Maybe...

Anyway - that lens is crazy good. You'll love it.

:2thumbs:

6. Nudie07

Nudie07 New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the awesome and quick responses.

I def like the idea of getting the Canon or Nikon version seeing as how I have been interested in other Canon and Nikon lenses, especially their selection in prime lenses. Not to mention my brother has a Nikon so I would be able to borrow lenses of his. The only other lens I have besides the GH2 kit lens is the SLR Magic Hyperprime 12mm f/1.6 that I use mostly for video. But I am looking to expand my collection of prime lenses for photo and video and have noticed Canon and Nikon both offer good selections.

So if intend to purchase Canon or Nikon lenses, would the adapters including Fotodiox and Rainbowimaging only work best with prime lenses?

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter, Nikon Lens to Micro Four Thirds Cameras: Electronics

Amazon.com: RAINBOWIMAGING Nikon Lens to Micro Four Thirds Cameras: Electronics

Once again I appreciate all the help you all have given me as well as the links included for adapter products. I like what I hear about this Rokinon 85.

7. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    The adapters will work with any lens of the right mount type. They're basically just mechanical spacers to put the lens the right distance from the sensor.

8. Nudie07

Nudie07 New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2013
    Thanks gcogger. Looks like the Rokinon 85 with Nikon mount is an F mount so I'll make sure I get the right adapter.

9. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Of course there is the Nikon chipped and non chipped. Chipped is a few dollars more but on a Nikon body you get the aperture,etc info.

10. Nudie07

Nudie07 New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2013
    Yea with a Nikon body that's worth it

11. Nudie07

Nudie07 New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2013
    Does anyone have any input on the Rokinon 85mm f/1.5 cine with Nikon mount? Is that worth the extra cash when shooting video on the GH2? Is the main difference the de-clicked aperture?

12. speedandstyle

If you are doing serious video production then they are worth it. If you are just doing home movies and such then get the photography versions.

There are 4 differences in the cine lenses!

1 - the aperture is declicked so you can change aperture while shooting.
    2 - they are measured in t-stops instead of f-stops
    3 - the numbers read lengthwise to the lens
    4 - the focus ring has gear teeth for using a follow focus

The great thing about Samyang and their cine lenses is they don't charge an arm and a leg more for them. Other brands such as Ziess charge up to 10x more for their cine versions.

13. Nudie07

Nudie07 New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2013
    Thanks speedandstyle. I will def go towards the cine. Appreciate the help.

14. Rokinon 1.4/85

After shooting some theater events, I'm looking for a fast 85mm to use as a short telephoto. The Rokinon is a good choice as is an old Takumar 1.4/85 or Hexanon 1.8/85, though both of those used usually sell for more than a new Rokinon.

I have an adapter for the Nikon mount, but it is for older Nikons. Is this mount good for newer Nikon lenses as well or has Nikon made changes?

15. speedandstyle

Nikon has only made one mount! The "F" mount. A lens from 1959 will fit a brand new Nikon camera. They have made additions to the mount over the years but the basic mount is the same. This is one of the great things about Nikon.

There are two adaptors out for Nikon to m4/3, the straight "F" and the "G". The "G" adaptor is for the modern AF-S lenses that have internal aperture adjustment, it adds a ring for adjusting the aperture mechanically. For a SamYang{Rokinon} lens you would want the "F" adaptor. Even if you get the SamYang lens that has the electrical contacts, the lens adjusts it's aperture with a ring, not internally.

16. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    FYI, you might also consider a c-mount lens. I picked up a like new Computar c-mount 75mm f1.3 lens on ebay for $130 and I have seen them for less than that. C-mount adapter is a few bucks (my fotodiox adapter lines up the aperture and focus ring). All metal construction. Made in Japan.

17. Can you comment more on the quality of the Computar c-mount 75mm? Is this a real lens or just another diversion like the Pentax 110 lenses? I do have a Nikon f-mount adapter, but I'm not opposed to getting a c-mount adapter if the 75mm lens is a worthwhile component.