1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adapted zoom lens for traveling

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by thekaz, May 21, 2011.

1. thekaz

thekaz New to Mu-43

May 21, 2011
    I'm really new to all of this.

I have a 20mm and the 45-200mm lumix lens for my GH1.

I'm looking for a decent zoom lens that I can bring around for my travels during the summer - the 14-45mm is too expensive so I'm looking at adapted lenses and mounts. Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I've used the OM 35-70 zoom. I have been happy with the results but it's nowhere as nice as using a native zoom. I find the 28-90 range of the natives much more useful for travel.

3. I have seen the Olympus 14-42 (4/3 mount) sell for as low as $50, but when you add in the cost of the 4/3 adapter it isn't so cheap anymore. These are a very nice little kit lens, still quite small and light, and you'll have full electronic control over aperture and autofocus and a decent wide-angle focal length.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    IMHO, Size and AF is too important for travel photography

Most any adapted lens will be bigger than the equivalent native lens, some ofnthem by A LOT.

I had the 20 and 45-200 for a long time, I have since gotten the PL14-50 four thirds lens, and still don't take many shots between 20 and 45mm.

5. thekaz

thekaz New to Mu-43

May 21, 2011
    OK thanks for the suggestions... they're very helpful. Yeah, size is definitely a big factor... if I have zoom, I'll use it, but if i don't, I seem to be OK without it. And the 20mm takes photos good enough for me to just crop later anyways.