Adapted portrait lenses + metabones speedbooster?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mesmerized, Jun 15, 2017.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Hello all,

Has anyone experimented with adapted portrait lenses and metabones speedboosters? I've just watched a video on how one guy uses his Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 on his m4/3 body with a metabones speedbooster. Any thoughts on pluses and minuses of such solutions?

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I use a 50-150mm f2.8 and Speedbooster which gives a 35-105mm f2.0, I previously owned the Olympus 35-100mm which absolutely destroys this combination... however it also weighs something like 3 times as much.

I'm happy enough with the combo, while I couldn't claim it's anything special performance wise it does get the job done. Stopped down to f5.6-8.0 there isn't really much difference between the two, it's purely wide open where it gets annihilated (although it is faster to focus).

3. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I have that combination and it is one of my favourite adapted lenses, no issues that i can think of off the top of my head. Ill get it out later and have a another look for you.

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I certainly wouldn't class the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 as a portrait lens, it's far too wide - the classic portrait lengths are 85mm to 135(+)mm. Without a focal reducer the crop factor on MFT helps giving 70mm EFL but even that is wider than normally desired.
    You can take excellent portraits with wide lenses (even fisheyes) but the lenses wouldn't be described as portrait lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    After the metabones reduction, it's a 13-25mm lens. I just purchased a metabones and have only used it with a Canon 50 1.8, but so far I like it. I'm looking at eventually picking up the Canon ef 85 1.8, or the 100 f2 for a portrait lens.

6. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Thanks.

What would be an ideal combo then? Canon 50mm would be equivalent to 100mm on my Oly.... minus the focal reducer provided by the metabones... That would be around... 80mm? 85mm? I have to calculate it.

7. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    In the normal length focal range it becomes a bit redundant. Old glass that when adapted and boosted are not going to perform better than what native lenses that are around will but i guess its up to personal preference but if you got some really fast legacy lens that is a good performer i could see the point but that would come at a price.
    Sorry my bad your not just looking at cheap old legacy lenses.

8. zuzuman

zuzuman Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2015
    Marc
    I've used the Tamron 60mm f2 Macro with a speedbooster as both a macro lens and portrait lens. I am pretty happy with the results. However, if you just want a portrait lens, I am not sure it's any better than the Olympus 45mm or Panasonic 42.5mm.

9. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Yeah 60mm x0.71 = 42.6mm which is what your looking for. You don't double then reduce. There is a x0.69 booster but I'm not sure if it fits the EM1 unless they revised it. Im talking about a Metabones speed booster.

10. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Focal length doesn't change because of the m43 sensor . The field of view is what changes. 50mm ff is 50mm m43. The difference is the field of view. A 50mm m43 lens has a FOV equivalent to a 100mm FF. Metabones reduces the focal length by a factor of . 71. So if you're looking for a 50mm portrait lens for your metabones, you would look for a 75-80mm aps-c/FF lens.

11. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    I've also noticed the autofocus is not extremely accurate. Probably due to the extremely narrow DOF Speedboosters can achieve. The focus peeking works great though, so sharp legacy lenses would be just as good as autofocus lenses.

12. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Ok i got a little confused there from the comment above because doubling the result is the FF equivalent so what i said earlier about not doubling it just means that if you don't then you can relate it to the other MFT lenses you have and their focal lengths. Hope that makes sense. 85mm is the standard for FF.

13. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I had a thought just now as to what difference it might make to what lens is on the metabones adapter i.e: a full frame lens or a APS-C lens like the Sigma 18-35mm but from what other websites are saying when they compared the Sigma @ 18mm when boosted to a native MFT 12mm lens they said it was very close hence 13mm must be correct.
    So i think the answer to the original post is that the lens mesmerized would like to adapt and boost for portraiture and get shallower DOF is the Sigma
    50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM | A This would get you 85mm and f1.2 but this lens is expensive too and only £100 cheaper than the Nocticron 42.5mm

14. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Just trying to explain that the focal length and field of view are different, and that the focal length is the same no matter what format.

• Like Like x 1
  15. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Yes your spot on in what you said.

16. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Thanks for that. I'm afraid I didn't quite get it, though... :(

17. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Just think of it as seeing the exact same image from the same distance away, but with a crop sensor (apsc , m43) you see less of the image. Your cropping the FF image, not zooming in. :hmmm:

18. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't think there are very many examples where it makes sense due to the cost of speed boosters. You can get a really solid older 50mm f1.4 for $100 or less. Put that on a $15 basic adapter and you have a very nice portrait lens that is very fast and has tons of subject isolation. If you add in a speed booster, you've added a lot more money, and now it's going to be a 35mm f1.0. That's a bit wide for portraiture, and even though it is an f1.0, it won't have more bg blur because it's a wider lens. The wider lens reduces bg blur at the same rate that the larger aperture increases it. It ends up being exactly the same only wider.

So in order to compensate, you need to start with a longer lens. Something like an 85mm. If you had an 85mm f1.4, then it would reduce to a 60mm f1.0 with a speed booster. Now you are getting somewhere. Except that 85mm f1.4 lenses can be more expensive. And huge and heavy. And with a speed booster, even more so. And by the time you add the cost of an 85mm f1.4 and a speed booster together, you are at least at the price of a Rokinon 50mm f1.2, which is a modern, very sharp lens made specifically for m4/3 and Sony. So what's the incentive?

I think there are some rare use cases where maybe some zooms start to look attractive, but an AF speed booster is no cheap, and neither are the lenses you'd most likely use them on. 50-100mm f1.8 becomes 35-70 f1.3, but it's going to cost you $1100 for the lens and $650 for the adapter. And you end up with some tiny zoom range in a massive lens. I'm not sure it has anything over a 25mm f1.4 and 75mm f1.8 prime combo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Until more recently the speed booster way was the only way to get UWA and fast apertures for astrophotography without a tracker, I'm not up to date with all the options out there now but the Samyang 14mm f2.8 and Sigma 18-35 f1.8 are really good when boosted for this purpose.

20. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I chased the idea of another booster for the Minolta lenses i have, but the cost of the speed booster didn't warrant it in the end, in fact for a few hundred more the A7 or A7R with a standard metabones adapter makes more sense to me and the FOV/FL/DOF stays the way it should be.