Adapted or native teleconverter

connloyalist

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Christine
Hello All,

I was wondering.... when using an adapted lens, is there any effective difference in using a native teleconverter or an adapted teleconverter?

In other words:
Camera (M43) - Teleconverter (M43) - Adapter - Adapted Lens
or
Camera (M43) - Adapter - Adapted Teleconverter - Adapted Lens

Any suggestions on this?

Regards, C

Baenwort

Mu-43 Regular
Experiment.

My gut says that the adapted extender will match the lens better and should be best.

But we all know the primary thing our gut produces. ;)

Chris999999

New to Mu-43
Hello All,

I was wondering.... when using an adapted lens, is there any effective difference in using a native teleconverter or an adapted teleconverter?

In other words:
Camera (M43) - Teleconverter (M43) - Adapter - Adapted Lens
or
Camera (M43) - Adapter - Adapted Teleconverter - Adapted Lens

Any suggestions on this?

Regards, C
Why not Camera(M43) - Adapter - Adapted Lens - Teleconverter?

Baenwort

Mu-43 Regular
There is someone around here (maybe Clint?) Who has used the MC14 with adapted lenses as the adapter provides the space needed for the MC14 to protrude into.

I think it required cutting a plastic tab off the MC14.

I strongly suspect that anything other than a matching teleconverter and the target lens is a waste of effort. None of the adapted teleconverters I've tried have been worth trying a second time -- luckily they were all $5 or so, so no great loss. YMMV, etc., but I'd just look for longer lenses if that's what you are going for.

Sammyboy

m43 Pro
.... here's a moon shot I took tonight using the MC14 and the adapted OM Zuiko 500mm mirror lens ...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

macro

Mu-43 Veteran
It works well on adapted lenses. I use it on the Canon FD 500 F/4.5L and the 300 F/2.8L. Not a problem and its pretty darn good as well. Better corrected than the Canon FD 1.4x TC.

500 F/4.5L, Oly MC-14

And of course you can also stack it with a Canon 1.4x TC as well

Yes there is a loss in IQ compared to the lens by itself, but that's to be expected.

All the best.

Danny.

It works well on adapted lenses. I use it on the Canon FD 500 F/4.5L and the 300 F/2.8L. Not a problem and its pretty darn good as well. Better corrected than the Canon FD 1.4x TC.

500 F/4.5L, Oly MC-14

View attachment 760849

And of course you can also stack it with a Canon 1.4x TC as well

Yes there is a loss in IQ compared to the lens by itself, but that's to be expected.

All the best.

Danny.

That's a whole lot better than my experiences -- doubling my 600mm Sigma mirror by cropping worked better than adding a teleconverter for moon shots. Maybe i'd have had better luck starting out with sharper glass than the Sigma.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
To follow up what Danny posted. I've used either the OM system 1.4x-A, the EC-14 or MC14 behind the OM Zuiko 350mm.

I can't say that I've ever noticed a difference between any of the combinations. But my way of testing any lens and/or teleconverter is to shoot it alongside my regular kit. If I'm happy submitting the results to editors it gets added to the kit.

macro

Mu-43 Veteran
To follow up what Danny posted. I've used either the OM system 1.4x-A, the EC-14 or MC14 behind the OM Zuiko 350mm.

I can't say that I've ever noticed a difference between any of the combinations. But my way of testing any lens and/or teleconverter is to shoot it alongside my regular kit. If I'm happy submitting the results to editors it gets added to the kit.
Oh no, not again. Will you please stop mentioning that Oly 350mm F/2.8 please. It's the only time and yes, the only time I get GAS !! :hail: It hurts enough as is.

Ha :) It's one lens I would love to try. Got the Canon FD 300 F/2.8L, but that Oly is just so tempting. All the best and GAS, GAS, GAS. :026:

Danny.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Oh no, not again. Will you please stop mentioning that Oly 350mm F/2.8 please. It's the only time and yes, the only time I get GAS !! :hail: It hurts enough as is.

Ha :) It's one lens I would love to try. Got the Canon FD 300 F/2.8L, but that Oly is just so tempting. All the best and GAS, GAS, GAS. :026:

Danny.
Sorry Danny, I won't mention the 350mm anymore.:boohoo::dash2::dance::flypig:

Latest posts

Top Bottom