Adapted macro lenses + FL-36R flash

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Edmunds, May 2, 2013.

1. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I want to buy an adapted macro lens, as I find the Oly 60mm macro to be too short (I used to have the 50mm macro, but only used it with the EC-20 TC), and doing macros is mostly MF anyway. So I'm looking for a macro that would be 100mm or longer.

Since these long macros have to be shot at minimum f/8 or f/11, I'm wondering how these lenses play with flash. I have the rather large Olympus FL-36R. Does it expose correctly on auto or would I have to set the flash manually?

I'm looking for the sharpest lens you can find under $500. Which long macro lenses would you recommend? I have been looking at the Canon FDs.

2. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    Flo
    I would be looking at Sigma 105mm macro, or 150mm on 4/3 mount.

3. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Good suggestion. Do you think the two Sigmas are sharper than the Canon FDs or other manual lenses?

I was looking at one Sigma 150mm on sale locally, but my god that thing weighs like a full kilogram. The 105mm is a good idea, but I'd like something that has a hard stop at 1:1 (or 1:2) when in manual focus. I remember the Olympus 50mm macro being pretty crappy in that respect.

4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Under $500 macros I would recommend:
    Tokina 90mm 2.5 (or the Vivitar version)
    Kiron/vivitar/lester dine 105mm 2.8
    Tamron 90mm 2.8 (note the older 2.5 has some issues with digital sensors)
    Nikon 105mm 2.8 ais
    Sigma 105mm 2.8 there is a 4/3 mount that will give you auto aperture and focal length information (and slow af)

All of these are very sharp lenses that would mostly be different in terms of color rendition and bokeh rather than sharpness.

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    You can check out the sample image threads here for some of the lenses heli-mech listed. I've got the Kiron 105/2.8 in FD mount and it ends at 1:1 with a nice long focus throw.

In terms of flash, I've got the same FL-36R as you and I usually just dial in the flash power manually to around 1/4 to 1/16. Use the camera's on board flash at 1/64 to trigger the FL-36R (or you use the remote commander mode to adjust the flash through the camera). But I guess I never really experimented with the flash in auto or TTL for macro. If the camera is on the tripod I just hold the flash so I can move it around for different lighting, otherwise I put the flash on a bracket with a ballhead cold mount so I can move the camera+flash around as need be and still get a nice angle for the light.

6. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    THose are some great suggestions, I'm really looking for something over 100mm, I'll have to look into the Nikon, hadn't thought about that.

The Kiron macro thread actually inspired me to look for a legacy macro lens :) I have been a quite anti-legacy-lens man, but the sharpness of those pics and the fact that most macro stuff is MF anyway has me convinced.

Thanks for the explanation on how you use the flash. I have very limited experience with it.

7. threebees

threebees Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    I'm very sorry for just opening a quite similar post but I started reading it and I don't know why thought I would find what I needed...

Actuallly I am very interested in similar focal lenghts but I am worried about weight. Of course I mean legacy lenses, I get very confused with Af looking for information about older lenses.

8. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    From the research I have been doing, if you want a long tele macro lens that is also super sharp, you're looking at over 500 grams, minimum. Until a native lens is produced, that'll be what we have to live with. The Sigma 150mm macro mentioned above with an adapter weighs a full 1000g, the 105mm options are about 600-700g.

9. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    To a point, heavier is better. As backwards as it sounds at first, the heavier lens is easier to keep steady handholding. I could handhold a 90mm legacy at lower shutter speeds than I could the 60mm, same with long telephoto lenses, I could get more keepers with my 1kg 300mm at low speeds than I can my 40-150 (at 150). Its not just about shutter speed either, its easier to frame and do manual focus when you are steadier.