1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adapted macro lens options? (OM or FD)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by phrenic, Aug 29, 2011.

1. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I haven't heard much about recommendations for decent macro options with these mounts, just wondering what lenses i should keep my eyes open for. Lots are listed on ebay but I have no clue what ones are good or bad. It would just be for casual use, so I would only be interested in sub 40-50$ options. Thanks!

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    How about close up lens? Marumi achromat or Raynox

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    There's a common saying in photography that there's never really been a bad macro lens. You can go for anything by either manufacturer. Both had a 50mm macro which is your best budget bet. Also, you can check out third party lenses. Vivitar branded some pretty successful lenses. This one is actually made by Kiron (Komine):
    CANON FD 75~205mm f3.8 MACRO VIVITAR LENS 4 CANON | eBay

I've had good luck with Vivitar, Rokinon, Tamron, Tokina, Cosina, etc. Just research before you buy. I really like my Vivitar 55mm macro.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    While it doesn't fit your OP adapters ... I've had very good luck with the Micro-Nikkor.

G

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Don't know if it falls into your price range, but I love my super takumar 50mm f4 macro and extension tubes.

6. The original OM 50/2 1:2 Macro is about as legendary as the 4/3 version and costs about the same. Both Canon and Olympus made 50/3.5 1:1 macro lenses. You might snag a Canon for $50 but I doubt you'd get an Olympus at that price. Price continues to climb for longer focal lengths, particularly the Olys. I have a Vivitar 55/2.8 (as mentioned previously) that I bought for around $AUS40. I'm no macro expert but it seems pretty good to me, albeit it is larger than the OEM 50/3.5 models.

7. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    As luck would have it, I bumped into a Tokina ATX 90mm F2.5 Macro recently in the second-hand market and immediately ordered it. It won't cost $40, but it completely negated any desire for me to get a native macro lens like the PL 45 2.8. The Tokina is as good, maybe better (without AF of course).

Bian

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    When are you ever going to use AF for macro? The 90-100mm range is superior for macros, in my humble opinion. ;)

9. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Don't rule out Pentax Takumar 50mm F4 Macro.

10. ward00

ward00 New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2011
    Some related info and a question at the end.

I have a Panasonic GH2 that is mounted with a Panasonic m4/3 45mm f2.8 macro. Recently I purchased the manual focus "Bokina" Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 M42 Macro thinking that because of its "reputation" that I would be able to take pictures that matched the Panasonic macro. I was immediately disappointed with the results. As a macro, any close up details are fuzzy and with chromatics - where as the Panasonic macro is crystal clear. I followed up my purchase with an Olympus 4/3 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 which has macro capability and obtained the same fuzzy results (i.e. I want to be able to focus the hairs on bugs at a further distance than the Panasonic 45mm allows)

So the question is - I am looking for a longer focal length alternative to the 45mm Panasonic Macro but that will provide the same quality results - does anyone have enough experience so as to be able to recommend such a lens (manual lens is ok). I am tired and disappointed in my failed results.

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The Tokina 90mm is a very capable lens; as I said above, every macro lens is good, for the most part. What shutter speeds are you using for your photos? Aperture changes with macro, so be careful to keep your shutter speed up enough, given that you're focused so close, and you're effectively shooting a 180mm lens. I'd definitely suggest a flash on a bracket, plus a tripod for those microshakes that you're bound to introduce. Plus, this is a used lens; are you sure that a previous owner hasn't dropped it or anything?

If you are willing to spend money and want a great new lens, buy the Tamron 90mm, Tokina 100mm, or Tamron 180mm lenses in Nikon mount. The Nikon 85mm is good too. I just recommend these because I know Nikon; there are many other choices that will work well for you. Choose a mount (besides Canon EF), and run with it.

12. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country

Here's one I took tonight with an E-P2 + mZuiko 40-150 zoom @ 82mm + Marumi Achromat DHG +5 close-up lens + FL-36R flash in TTL AUTO, off camera, ISO 200, F/22, 1/180s

Maybe the blur you see in you photos is from a slow shutter speed or movement by you or your subject. The photo above was hand held, a tripod with a focusing rail would have been ideal, but I was walking around with only the above equipment. Thankfully the flash froze any movement, but still focusing was difficult, and even at f/22 the DOF is very shallow.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Here's one from my Kiron manufactured Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro, in Minolta mount (this lens would have gotten in way closer, but DOF was way too small even at f/32 with a polarizer so I kept back... and still didn't have enough DOF):
    cricket1_web.

And here's a crop from the image (not 100%):
    cricket_head_web.

And a couple more...

cricket2_web.
    cricket3_web.

• Like Like x 2
  14. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    It's a very good lens produced by Kiron. It's also known as Elicar 55/2.8.

15. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    HereĀ“s a pic i took last weekend with a Raynox 202 on my kit lens 14-140mm, good alternative if you want to get really close and dont spend that much.

Spider170_02__.

And another that i Fokusstacked.

Fly55_05__.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ward00

ward00 New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2011
    In another forum, someone indicated that the legacy Vivitar (as well as the Olympus 70-300) just was not designed to resolve the pixels in the GH2. However your photos seem to prove the opposite. Itried every combo of F stop and setting I can think of and never achieved the sharpness in your images, which match that of the panasonic m4/3 macro. Perhaps the Vivitar I bought used has a defect, but the Olympus was bought new. I'll do some research on the lenses you guys used to see if I want to do buy another "experiment"

17. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Ned - what is that thing? a grasshopper?

18. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Again, post up some examples and shooting info. Give us something to work with. Pictures have as much to do with technique as anything else, but there could definitely be a problem with the lens. Who knows how many time it's changed hands, and how previous owners treated it. Do you have a tripod? As a test, zoom your lens in as much as it can go, full macro. Put your lens on a tripod, and use the timer release mode. Put your camera next to a solid unmoving object, with a lot of light streaming on it, either next to a window or outside. Something like a lamp post, or a backpack sitting on your kitchen table. Look at your viewfinder, and move the camera so that something is in focus. Take a photo, and post it up for us to see. If we see the image we can diagnose the lens.

I have a macro lens that's messed up. Here's an example of the image it produces.
    Dreamy_macro-1.

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Due to the low internet resolution of 72 dpi, I think it would be difficult to ascertain differences in sharpness/resolution unless the differences are extreme. (ala the photo above is pretty soft.) Downloading full sized files enlarged to 100%+ is probably the best comparison methodology.

In the dSLR world the IQ coming out of the 90mm Tokina is legendary.

A few from the 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor:

[​IMG]

1060057-L.

Gary

PS- Jumbotron, that thing is a Cricket.
    G

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It's dinner. For my Beardie, anyways. ;)

They're little feeder crickets that I buy for my lizard to eat. I just took one out of her tank and made it jump around the studio for a bit, lol. xD

Here's her saying, "nom, nom, nom"...

little_lizzy.
    (this image was taken with a Zuiko 50-200mm SWD.)

• Like Like x 1