1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adapted lenses only?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by super8man, Jun 29, 2013.

1. super8man

super8man Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Curious if others are using m43 cameras strictly with adapted lenses. Me? It's why I bought into the format. The ability to use old glass was the most exciting part of the whole pursuit. I am invested in Canon and Nikon (yes, both DSLR formats) but I kept wanting to use OLD glass. I toyed with shooting my M42 scremount lenses on the Nikon and that was fun but I seem to have caught the bug for other old lenses and the m43 format seemed the most appropriate. The joke is, once you load up the adapter, the EVF, and a decent manual lens, you may as well use a DSLR.

But seriously, I love the format and the abilities of my Olympus E-PL3 and my E-P2.

As for the kit 14-42 lens? I really don't know what to do with it. Funny.

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I shot exclusively adapted lenses for a year, and I still shoot them about 40% of the time. I find them quite enjoyable to use. However, don't write off native m43 lenses though. They are some of the best glass out there no matter the format. In fact, you are really missing out if legacy glass is all you use.

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I don't get this part. :confused:

4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    maybe the OP is used to using film SLR lens. he might have never used the beautiful m39/ltm, original PEN f, auto 110, or M mount lens on the micro four thirds system.

5. super8man

super8man Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    I just meant if you were using Nikon or Canon glass and using an adapter on your m4/3, then you may as well use the DSLR of that brand...the footprint and heft is pretty much the same. No slight meant at m4/3 format.

As for native glass, I agree, glad to see some top end stuff out there for m4/3. Since I already have enough high end glass in the DSLR end, I will refrain from buying native glass for the moment. However, in years to come, I am sure I will come across some nice and cheap native glass.

6. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    I exclusively use M42 lenses. I have a Novoflex adapter, which does well. So I screw all the lenses on and off. It's a PITA, but I've only found one lens, a T-mount to M42 lens, which focuses past infinity. All the rest do well to infinity focus perfectly.

The wife just picked up a Pani G5 and Pani lenses, so I may be working with native lenses soon. We'll see if she likes it!

7. super8man

super8man Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Actually, I have a Leica 3f with a Voigtlander 15mm. Love that rangefinder. A lot of cameras have passed through my hands over the years...I even enjoyed 6x9 but, man, talk about slow picture taking. I enjoyed it though.

Yes, I have two full compliments of DSLR gear but always love experimenting and mixing and matching.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Um... I travel with the smallest m4/3 bodies (ie, Pen Minis) with SLR lenses all the time. The tiny kits I can make with them are INCOMPARABLE to the bulk of my old DSLR system. Even if you're adapting SLR glass (primes at any rate) AND using an EVF, the packing size of an m4/3 kit is immeasurably smaller.

If using Rangefinder, Pen F, Pentax 110, Cine lenses, etc., then the compactness is as good as using native glass, but even with SLR lenses it's amazing just how small you can pack with m4/3 bodies.... at least when you're used to lugging around big pro-grade DSLRs.

Another tip is not to use a big m4/3 adapter on each lens. If using multiple SLR lens systems, adapt them all to 4/3, not m4/3. That will leave one 4/3 adapter on your camera and only tiny adapters on each lens. You will not be adding redundant bulk that way. 4/3 is the shortest SLR mount so nearly all the other SLR mounts can be adapted to it. Or you can also stick to one mount per kit to stay with one adapter.

And of course, if you're going for a small footprint then get the smallest body you can. Yes the full Pen and OM-D cameras are really tiny in the grand scheme of things, but the new Minis and Lites are just THAT much tinier.

9. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    ^^ good tip about using 4/3rds adapters

10. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    90% of my lens-use from 24mm and up is adapted. I tend to only use the native ones when I want to go wide (the 7.5mm and the 12mm). Manual glass just feels better to me and I can almost always get the shot I want once I'm rid of autofocus which I usually call autofocusonthewrongthing.

11. iamajai

iamajai Mu-43 Regular

I've been shooting almost exclusively adapted lenses since I bought my FD24/2.8 and my Vivitar 55/2.8. Those two lenses and the P20 are the only lens I take with me regularly and then P20 sees very limited use. I find there's a certain quality to the photos from the adapted lenses that's very pleasing. A certain softness and warmth, that's missing when I use native lenses. The photos are more how my memory/mind sees them and less "reality".

I do agree that the adapted lenses are far heavier than native glass and larger as well, but on my G1 the handling feels natural and I find being able to quickly change aperture very helpful.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Another reason I adapt to 4/3 besides the lens size thing, is that I just love my Zuiko Digital teleconverters! They're simply the best. With my SLR lenses adapted to 4/3, I can use the same teleconverters (which aren't cheap at ~$500 each!) for every SLR mount I have. I've tried some of the old legacy TC's that come in the various mounts I have, and they have all been junk. The Zuiko teleconverters aren't a cheap investment, but they're well worth the money and this gets a lot more use out of them.

13. penners_r

penners_r Mu-43 Rookie

The ability to use my old Leica R lenses was one of the main reasons I moved across to M43. I have since picked up two Zuiko 50mm OM lenses (f1.8 and a macro). Unfortunately other than the macro I haven't really taken full advantage of these lenses. However next weekend I am off to a WW2 show in Capel, West Sussex. So the native zooms are staying at home and my EP-2 and E-PM1 will be shod with the adapted primes. It will be interesting if I can adapt to using my feet rather than a zoom to compose the photographs I'm looking for!

14. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    at the risk of sounding repetitive, another excellent tip.

Funny, I was just chatting with another member about this over PM. I have a Tokina 300mm 2.8 FD lens coming my way (I hope), and while I have a decent TC (Kiron MC7), I was thinking about getting the official Canon 2x FD TC.

You think its worth it to get the Oly 4/3rds TC for someone who only has legacy glass to use it with?

15. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    I'm using an entirely manual kit at the minute (EPL3 with Sigma 24 2.8, Zuiko 50 1.8 and Zuiko 135 3.5). The autofocus stuff is gathering dust in the drawer. I think that using manual lenses brings a bit of the art back to photography which I'd lost with autofocus gear.

I find it a bit of a nuisance that I can focus past infinity, though (particularly since that's where most of my shots are taken), with the cheap Fotodiox adapter that I'm using.. does anybody know if biting the bullet and paying the big money for the 'official' OM -> M43 adapter will resolve that issue?

16. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

That's awesome.
    I too primarily use adapted lenses. I Also have and love my Kino made 55mm/2.8, just like yours. I don't really think its that soft, I think it's very sharp. I love the lens... Mine too is in FD mount , I also use Minolta MD mount lenses and C-mount lenses. Another FD mount lenses I used was the Canon 50mm f/1.2 but I stopped when I found a Minolta 50mm f/1.2 and use that instead.

My other 2 favorite Minolta Rokkor lenses to use are the 35mm f/1.8 & 135mm f/2.8.
    In c-mount I use a 75mm f/1.4.
    My kit basically consists of those 4 lenses and the old 17mm M.Zuiko, along with a nice compact M.Zuiko 14-42mm Mk II lens for the times when I need to adjust rather quickly for moving events.

I started with a G1 and loved using it, and i still ove that camera.
    I got a Gh2 in December. I prefer the G1, but I'm still trying to get use to the GH2. I hate the Thumb wheel, and wish the button for the Magnifier was the same when using manual lenses, but I like the better High ISO performance.

17. iamajai

iamajai Mu-43 Regular

18. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Started with Konica's, collected some Nikkors, also have some old Russians in M39 mount. Very rarely do I feel the need to use the 14mm or 20mm pana's.

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Absolutely. You now have only one TC or set of TCs for all your legacy SLR glass (unfortunely not rangefinder glass, etc), and will never have to worry about the quality of your TC nor the availability of one in various mounts, nor will you ever need to make redundant TC purchases for your legacy glass again.

I do have one of the Kiron 2x TC's (dunno the exact model #), and I can tell you that it will never come close to comparing with the Zuiko Digital. Kiron though, is the only mount I don't bother adapting to 4/3. It can be done, but I don't like modifying the lens by removing that aperture tab.

20. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Thanks Ned. I might just save up and get the Olympus one instead of another legacy TCs.