1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adapted lens with Bayonet Removed?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Cruzan80, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Hey All,

Not sure if this is exactly the right place, but couldnt figure out another place to put it. I picked up a 58mm Minolta MC 1.4 for really cheap at a local thrift store, because the aperture was frozen open. Opened it up, got it all cleaned and snappy, and is 90%+ back together. The only issue I have right now is that there is a small ring that has the bayonet, and a tab to keep the aperture wide open, until the camera "fires". There are a few spacers and ball bearings that keep it turning smoothly, and they are not going back in exactly correct. So I am trying to figure out if I actually need that particular ring in there. There is the mounting ring seperate from that, which is secured with screw.

My guess is that using an adapter would negate the bayonet keeping it open anyway, correct? By mounting it on an old Minolta 35mm, it just seems to make the viewfinder darker when composing the picture, as compared to a working lens with a bayonet. Only other issue I could think of is it has a small opening to allow dust to get into where the springs are located that control the aperture. The rear element screws into the back of the heliocoid?, so there shouldn't be any issue of dust getting on the blades of the aperture.

Opinions? Thoughts? Random comments? Just getting into it, so making sure what I understand about the mechanics of MF lenses are correct.

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You have found the spare parts included with every product but never revealed until reassembly.

3. Jagged

Jagged Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    New Zealand
    Jeremy
    I have stripped, cleaned and reassembled a couple of Minolta lenses in the last few weeks, unfortunately they are all MD mount, so slightly different. I'm also still waiting for my M43 adapter to arrive as well.

From what I understand as long as the standard aperture ring is in place and functional and you can see the aperture open and close when you turn it you should have no worries.

Let us know how this lens works out for you, I've heard some of the MC lenses lack contrast, but I have seen few primes.

Man, I really can't seem to find the "right" thrift stores here in NZ ... :)

4. Jagged

Jagged Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    New Zealand
    Jeremy
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Thanks for that link! Though it is a 1.2 instead of a 1.4, when it gets to the lens part, the 4th photo down shows me exactly what I thought is how it went. I just couldn't figure out how to keep them all from slipping around, but that shows me!

:bravo-009:

From what I have seen, the MC 58mm is very soft at the edges, but crystal sharp in the center, making a beautiful portrait lens. So, here is hoping. It was with an SRT101 body originally listed at $50, and I talked to the manager, and they had me wait a week to make sure it didn't sell. Whole thing, with a kenko UV filter went for $15 (said it had been there for a month).

What brand of adapter did you go with? I decided to go with Fotodiox, as I had heard some decent reviews of them compared to *insert random ebay seller here*. Didn't want to spend more on the adapter than I did on the lens, so the Novaflex and others like it were out. Should be here Tuesday, and my wife and I are going out to Colorado to visit family for a week on Wed. so should have some great opportunities.

Thanks again!

6. Jagged

Jagged Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    New Zealand
    Jeremy
    Shipping from the US is a bit cost prohibitive for me, so I went with a random ebay seller "big_is" as he has good prices and seems to get good reviews. Will be interesting to see what the quality is like, that said as long as it connects onto the camera and lens then I don't mind if I need to shim or adjust.

I have a 50mm f2.0 from my x300 that I brought second hand for Uni (College), I'm keeping an eye on the local online auction site, but it seems well known that Minolta primes are good glass (still only fetching ~20-30US I guess), though I have seen some body+prime lens combos going for half the price of a single lens when the seller doesn't know what they have.

7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Just had a chance to sit down and work on this. Everything went together perfectly. Had the order of how they fitted together in the wrong order, as I also couldn't figure out how to keep everything together with just the short screws. Now everything is together just fine. Thanks again for the photo.